Safe beddings for chinchillas

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FL415

I know this has been answered in other threads, but there doesn't seem to be a consensus...

Which beddings are best for chinchillas? I just got mine and have been using CareFresh but she's been eating it and I'm worried it'll cause GI obstructions. I hear Aspen shavings are better; does it have to be kiln-dried? I'm having a hard time finding a product that specifies that.

Let me know what you've used for your healthy chinchillas! :)

Thank you!

Any wood has to be kiln dried. I use kiln dried pine. Carefresh is too expensive for the number of chins I have, plus my chins like to chew on the pieces of wood that come in the shavings.

I have used both kiln dried aspen and pine ...I have found the pine shavings seem to keep the smells down for me My chin came with care-fresh and was eating it so thats why I switched too

Over the years I've tried just about every chin safe bedding out there. Currently on my solid bottoms I mostly use kiln dried pine. It's good for absorption and odor, and is cost effective even for larger herds. I use newsprint for my wire bottom cages. I occasionally use fleece liners as well in the solid bottoms.

For cost, newsprint (b&w) is cheapest...however it doesn't absorb well and doesn't help odors. Kiln dried pine is the next cheapest, does a good job at odor control and absorbs well. Carefresh is good as long as your chins don't eat it, but is pretty costly. Fleece liners are always a good choice in larger cages, as long as you take good care of them the odor isn't too bad and they're good for absorbing. Anything I'm missing?

You need to get rid of the Carefresh since your chin is eating it. Kiln dried pine or aspen shavings are both safe alternatives and they work well. Stay away from cedar. It can cause respiratory problems.

My chins used to eat the paper type bedding (I can't use wood) so what I do is give them some fresh hay when i change the cage, they always love the fresh hay and ignore the paper.

Latest posts

Back