Sad over dead kit

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Encantadora

LvL Chinchillas
I know it happens and I've had this happen before but yesterday I had a mom deliver. At 7 am there were two newly born babies. By 10 am all was well. By 2 pm I found a third kit, dead, that either died in the birth canal or was stepped on. She was dry but looked to be laying right where she was delivered. She was not any bigger than the rest but had some bites on her front leg, possible sign of mom pulling on her to get her out?

I just feel in these situations "if only I was there." What are the chances of things turning our better if you are there to help? Whether kit is stuck or needs reviving? It's my impression that nature does as it wants, but I can't help feeling bad.

Lauren I am soooo sorry! You have a huuuuge heart for animals but you can't blame yourself for nature... RIP little one....

So sorry to hear that. I have found dead kits before that looked completely fine except the sac wasn't pulled off of the nose and I always feel bad because If I would have gotten there just a little earlier, I could have saved them. I also think that sometimes we want to "hover too much" over our herds, especially a smaller herd, and our interference can sometimes do more harm than good. It's just not possible to be there all of the time, we just try to do our best. I can have 10 healthy births in a row, but it's the one stillborn after that, that will stick with me.

A lot of the moms will clean up a kit even if it is dead when born. I highly doubt a very high percentage would be saved even if we were present for every birth. Some just are not meant to be unfortunately.

I'm hoping she wasn't stepped on, that it was too long in the birth canal. I hate the squashing risk. She was born a number of hours later.

Not sure if it is easier when they are stillborn or if they die a few days later, just had that happen even with attempts to handfeed, it is always sad and tough. So sorry for you!

I'm glad the other two are ok. The worst is losing the whole litter.

But now I get to put down my nicest violet girl. I never had any kits from her, which was a blessing in disguise but I'm rather sick over it.

I just feel in these situations "if only I was there." What are the chances of things turning our better if you are there to help? Whether kit is stuck or needs reviving? It's my impression that nature does as it wants, but I can't help feeling bad.

Sorry for your loss. D= Don't beat yourself up, it sounds like the kit either was dead before birth or died because of being so delayed. I haven't bred chins yet but I used to raise guinea pigs, I only ever saved one kit by being there during a difficult birth and he almost was lost anyway. He was one that had the sack still on his nose, I noticed only because he started to suffocate and struggle weirdly. He had brain damage even from that short time of no air and had to be hand fed till 3 weeks. He started out with paralyzed limbs but by 4 weeks he was running round (but slower) like his litter mates.

Even when I was present for other births with non responsive kit that I was able to hand revive they all died within 48 hours. So don't beat yourself up, the lack of oxygen during delivery is what gets them I think, and nature has her way in the end.

You are not alone during your bad breeder week! Again sorry about Bella...HUGS! First one is on me at Nationals...we will toast to Mabel, Bella and our not forgotten babies!!!!

Last edited:
Back