Run-around balls?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chelle

I know you have to be particular about getting a ball that will be safe for your chinchilla to run around in & I was wondering if the kind from pet stores are actually suitable? They say they are for chinchillas but I thought I would ask here first.

Thanks for any help! =]

we call the run around balls 'death balls' for a very good reason. chins get overheated in them and suffer from heat stroke (and potentially death!). they also poop and pee in them, making for a very dirty and smelly chin. yuck.

another reason death balls are strongly advocated against, is that chins hop and jump, but don't really run. so a ball goes against their natural form of movement.

no death ball!

One more thing I'd like to add...where can I get tunnels for Alfred to run through & play in? They don't have any at Animart & I didn't see any at Mounds. Would they be available at someplace like Walmart or Target?
& sorry, but one more thing! He has one of those hay/straw type little huts. I have yet to see him go in it though? Do they not like those? If not, which kind should I get? Or is there anything I can to do to help encourage him to use it?

Thanks for the help! I appreciate it greatly!

we call the run around balls 'death balls' for a very good reason. chins get overheated in them and suffer from heat stroke (and potentially death!). they also poop and pee in them, making for a very dirty and smelly chin. yuck.

another reason death balls are strongly advocated against, is that chins hop and jump, but don't really run. so a ball goes against their natural form of movement.

no death ball!

Okay, thanks so much! That's what I read before but when I saw that the balls said chinchillas, I wasn't sure. So, thank you :]

Many things at pet stores say different pets on them, but it doesn't mean they are safe. It means they are trying to make a buck.

If you want to put some tunnels together for him, get some big PVC pipe from a hardware store, buy some joints and Y pieces, and build your own fun maze! I wouldn't make the pieces relatively short and put them together with joints frequently so that you don't have to worry about retrieving him when he goes in and might not want to come out.

You can also use cardboard boxes with holes cut in them for doors and windows, untreated kiln dried pine boards to make him a house and some bridges to cross. You can be pretty creative and still maintain a safe play area.

Those little huts wont' last long once he starts in on it. You may want to invest in a wooden house instead. Last much longer and also help to keep him chewing and his teeth healthy. TwilightChinchillas on here makes really cute custom ones and I believe there are others who make a knock off version as well.

I just checked out the simplychintastic.com website...Oh my gosh, I am going to be in so much trouble. I fell in love with almost everything I saw on there! Thanks for sharing it.

I just got my order from Twilight Chinchillas. She made the best custom three level houses with coordinating ledges, beds, hay racks etc. She was super to work with. I will post pictures soon. The details were amazing. We had a jungle theme and a firehouse theme. Everything was amazing!

Be warned that SimplyChintastic has ridiculously long waiting periods, even for a simple house. I know of someone who waited over 6 months. Christine (Twilight Chinchillas) is active on this forum and she has a quick turn around time.

Just something to consider if you want something right away. If you don't mind waiting 6 months or longer, then it won't matter.

PM Christine or like TwilightChinchillas on Facebook. She is very thorough and easy to work with. I have an order in with her now and would have had it a week ago, but I keep ADDING to my order because everything is so darn cute! She is awesome and there are many threads on here to see her work!

Why not give a active forum member the business? I don't understand why links are posted to websites and vendors who are not active members. Christine does great work!

Thanks everyone! I have wood here ready to be sculpted into something if you want a custom piece that no one else has! Guitar bed, pumpkin house, you name it, I make it! :)

Latest posts

Back