Rudeness in CL response-venting...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lydz

Sorry to vent but some people are so rude. So yeah, I have to give up my chins. I am trying all outlets including craiglist. Maybe I wasn't clear that the price is mainly for the supplies and not the babies. I get you can't charge for them.
So I get a reply..
"Read what it says at the top of the general for asale page, & either try to get the livestock breeder you bought them vfrom to take them back or pay for an ad in the paper."
Fine...I reply nicely. Thanks for the concern. The price is for the supplies mainly the $200 cage.
And I get this:
"If anything you had was 'worth' anything---the person who sold it all to you would buy it back. Have a spine & try that."
Seriously... am I doing something wrong? I love my babies. I have spend over a thousand dollars in stuff in the past two years. I have paid for everything.
Geez....

Sorry ... thought I was clearer. It was not from here. Never had any issues.
It was from a craigslist email. It just upset me and I wanted to vent. Figured the rest of you would understand and at least tell me if I'm doing something wrong in trying to rehome my boys.

CL people are bored and like to be mean as a sport. I would take what they say with a grain of salt.

I know I should but that Have a spine got to me. I shouldn't have replied but I can't help it.
I told her to not make assumptions and I bought all the stuff myself.
I wanted to add so shut-up meanie but didn't :)

Of course I secretly don't want my boys to sell so we'll be forced to take them with us but my husband wants to try to see if someone wants them.

Anyone have experience with chins in apartments? Are they generally allowed since they are in cages?

I have 8 chins in my apartment. Once I said caged pets they didn't care. It just depends on the landlord, though. Mine is an animal lover.

Anyone moved across states? How did the chins fair? I know mine are pretty resilient to changes. As long as they have food, nothing phases them.

Haven't moved across state but have driven 6 hours. People drive long distances all the time with chins for shows, transport, etc. Just make sure they are kept cool, have a handful of hay and chews and they are good. For such a long drive it would be a good idea to stop every once in awhile to offer food/water as well.

I would openly and honestly bring it up with your landlord and explain that they are caged and nearly odorless. Think about what issues they might have from their viewpoint and cover the bases. They wont damage the carpets or scratch up the doors or other fixtures. If you alleviate their fears for protecting their investment you can appeal to them on an emotional level and say how much you love them and that they mean so much to you. I have my two boys in a large cage in the livingroom of my one bedroom apartment and they do just fine (I do let them out in a playpen though!) and I dont have to be on pins and needles hiding them and worrying I might be evicted at a moment's notice. Just make sure you have some AC plan, I ended up scouting Craigslist for a portable unit.

I really hope you're able to keep your chins. If it's your first time posting on CL I could see how it could affect you but you just need to ignore the weirdos and move on. We have a few listings on CL for apartments for rent and I sometimes cannot believe the responses. As soon as I see one word that doesn't sound right, I immediately delete that email.

Anyone moved across states? How did the chins fair? I know mine are pretty resilient to changes. As long as they have food, nothing phases them.

6 hour move from Chicago to Ohio. My girls took the move like champs! I have to bring them home for the holidays and they always sleep on the drive. When I was apartment hunting the chins were my priority. My requirements were a pet friendly place with preferably central AC. While it limited my options I did find about 4 different apartment complexes that were in my budget. When my current landlord found out that they were caged pets, not dogs or cats, she waived the pet deposit and monthly fee, so they're rent free. :)

I've moved several times with my chins over the years. First move was about 45 chinchillas but only 5 miles. Next move was back the other way with about 50 chinchillas. Then 150 miles (two and a half hours) to a new place with 58 chinchillas. The most recent move we did was 3 miles with 72 chinchillas. Moving with chins is not hard, if I can do it with as many as I have, there's no reason you can't move two.

My friend also moved her 30+ chinchillas 8 hours to me and back to her place.

We're moving to the Detroit area so it's not that far....about 6 hours.
We haven't gone up there to look for apartments yet but I will see what happens. I guess I'll keep them listed, take any reasonable offer and still keep them in mind when we head up for apartments.

Start calling around and asking apartments what their pet rules are. I lived in the Detroit subs for many years and stayed in several apartments. I always started out our search by looking at apartments that allowed pets and calling them to find out what their pet rule was. Some "allowed pets," but had size, number of species limits.

We ran into several that would not rodents of any type for fear they will get out and gnaw stuff... You may run into that issue with your chinnies.

I actually just moved from Alabama to Texas my little chinny did just fine he was mad at me for a couple of days for having him in a cat carrier the hole time but he did just fine

I recently had to move out of my apartment because my landlord kicked my chins out, but I found a new apartment allowing them within the week. If you search, and specify that taking your pets with you are a must, you WILL find a place. The place we found ended up being bigger and nicer than we were hoping for, too! And as long as you have AC in the car, 6 hours in the car is a lot better than having to part with your babies and not knowing if they'll end up being bounced from home to home. Good luck!

Some people on CL can be nasty, but just ignore them and do what you have to do for your babies. I do have one question though did you post it under general section or the pets section?
When I used to live in a apartment my landlord was fine with it. Just like everyone mention, ask for pet policy. Keep in mind though, heat rises, so find one that's not on the top floor. I was on the 3rd floor and the chins shared my bedroom although the place had ac, I still had to get a separate window ac to keep my room at 70. The lady that lived on the first floor of me was nice and cool vs my boiler room.
My chins were fine during my move to the house.

Wow that person does sound like a jerk. Isn't the point of Craigslist to sell your stuff? Y would you try to get the person you got it from to take it back? That would totally defeat the purpose of Craigslist! That person was just trying to be a mean bully so they could feel powerful.

Many landlords who do not allow traditional pets will allow chins simply because they are caged and don't stink. They are also much too big to get loose and disappear into nooks and crannies never to be seen again like a mouse or hamster could, so that is one less thing the landlord would have to worry about. I think if you explain what chins are and all of the ways that they won't harm the value of the apartment, most landlords will allow you to keep them. If they are on the fence you could always offer to put down a pet deposit just to ease their mind. Good luck and I hope you get to keep them!

I talked to my landlord before moving in and asked her to make a concession for my hedgehog. She even wrote it into my lease that as long as I keep the cage clean I can keep him. I really hope you don't have to give up your boys!! :(

Back