Rosehips.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonmariexoxo

Annabelle's Mommy! (:
Are rosehips a safe treat for chins? I know there are mixed opinions about treats and stuff, but most vendors on here sell them and I was wondering if they are safe or not.

Awesome! Because I want to get treats for my chin for when she comes home but I didn't want to risk her health.

I am just curious how many whole rose hips everyone might be feeding in a week's time?? I have heard of people feeding a whole one everyday and my thoughts are that it may be a few too many...........2 or 3 a week sounds right for my chins, but what does everyone else do??

It is safe to feed one whole rose hip a day, but you can offer a rose hip 2-3 times a week if you prefer :))

I guess one per day would be fine IF other items are not fed too like flowers, buds, other treats. I'm just wondering with all the other stuff I hear that people are feeding too that it would be an overload of so-called "good for them" treats. At that point something new could be offered every other day of the week - wouldn't want an over load.........what do you think??

I look at herbs as essential part of chinchillas' diet – not as treats. I use the word "treats" on my website mainly for search engine optimization as people usually google "chinchilla treats." Herbs are great sources of nutrients. Pellets contain so many synthetic nutrients because companies are trying to compensate for inadequate ingredients (this reduces the base cost). Some companies in Europe do not include that many synthetic nutrients in chinchilla feeds because they use herbs.

Of course, you should use common sense when offering herbs :) But it is not like if you offer one rose hip, your chin can not have a dandelion leaf or a chamomile flower. My chins get a teaspoon of herbal broad spectrum supplement daily and a whole rose hip. Occasionally, they get other herbs as well. When they are lucky, they find dandelions, red clover and other herbs in their organic hay.

Back