Rosehips?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rebecca1122

Charged By Chins.
Hi,

Just a general question about opinions on rosehips and treats. I'm not planning on getting any, just for the future.
Do you give your chins rosehips? Crushed or whole?
If not, what treats, if any?

Thanks!

Rosehips are a good source of vitamin C for chinchillas, and they love them.

i used to give whole, now it's crushed/sifted. mainly due to me ordering crushed instead of whole when i ran out of whole, but also because i don't have to clean up all the little seeds and fluff if i give crushed, lol. the smaller pieces with crushed rosehips makes for a longer treat/bonding time too, since you can give a small piece and give scritches while they eat that piece, then give another, and continue scritching. with whole, i found Rhino would bounce off to his favourite top shelf to eat, and with crushed, he sticks around because he knows there's a couple more pieces coming after the first. with Guss, he's such a lovey that he never runs away with treats, and would almost prefer scritches to treats most times.

Rose hips are the seed pods of a rose bush. Humans often use them in tea and the like because they're high in Vit C (which is also why they're good for chinchillas). Most organic foods stores will sell them; likewise herb shops. Sometimes I see them at the farmers markets around here. But, by far the easiest way to get them is to visit the Classifieds section here. I know Tanya (Fuzzies Kingdom) sells them, and a bunch of others besides. They're usually pretty inexpensive, and I have yet to see a chin refuse one, unless they drop it half way through because of the furry stuff around the seeds inside the pod.

there pretty good. I love how they handle them. There are people here who sell them. And lately I find them around herb stores in my area. I used to use ChinWorld for my purchases since it was the only site I knew about. Now I found here! =D

Latest posts

Back