RoseHips and RosePetals suppliment or treat?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuji9991

I once heard that rose hips and dried rose petals are a good source of vitiman C for chins but are they considered more of a treat or do people give them regularly as part of a diet?

I give mine a rose hip about three times a week, and I have small rosebuds that I give about 2 times a week. So I use them as treats. The only thing they require as part of their regular diet is a good quality food pellet and hay.

The need for Vit C in chins is a controversial subject, there have been no formal studies so all the evidence is anecdotal, but there is a train of thought due to the anecdotal evidence that some cases of malo are actually a form of scurvy and the results from using vit C in those cases showed a form of remission-not cure, a slow down of the downward spiral.

I just give Idgie some crushed rose hips a few times a week as a treat. They are healthy for her and she thinks that they are a treat, so I'm happy.

I only give rose hips as treats, not part of their normal diet. Their normal diet only consists of pellets and hay, and wood if that counts as "food."

Back