Rose Hips???

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kickster

where can i find rose hips and/or rose pedals.....do i go to the pet store a grocery store or can i pick it right off the bush if there is no poison on it...i would prefer it not to come from online please help

i myself have tried to hunt for rosehips in local health food stores to no avail. i just get them from online suppliers.

as for picking rosehips and petals straight off a bush, i would be very wary of this unless the bush is yours and you can confirm there has been no pesticide or fertilizer use on the bush or surrounding landscape for the whole life of the bush. rosebushes from garden centres and such are often sprayed during the initial growth before being sold.

No, if the rose petals are from your bush, you have to be absolutely sure that the bush was not sprayed with any sort of pesticide or fertilizer, or that the surrounding area was not sprayed.

For example, we don't spray our trees, but the area we live in sprays for mosquitos, which coats just about everything with the mosquito mist... so we could never use our own wood.

there is no way to 'treat' wood, rose petals, rosehips, etc to make them safe for chins once they have been treated with pesticides or fertilizers. these chemicals stay in the tissues of the plant or tree for life, and you cannot remove them.

Tanya on here also sells organic rose hips and other goodies, her shop is called fuzzy kingdom, my chins go CRAZY over her rose hips.

I'll file this away for future use when I have chins. I didn't know you could use rosehips as a treat. Are they a treat, or can they be used as part of a food mix (not sure how expensive that would be)?

I'll file this away for future use when I have chins. I didn't know you could use rosehips as a treat. Are they a treat, or can they be used as part of a food mix (not sure how expensive that would be)?

They're treats.

I would try local health food stores like Whole Foods if you have that in your area. Otherwise, just get them from CnH vendors.

Latest posts

Back