Rose Buds and Rose Hips

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linda

There is a post in the classified offerring rose buds, and I've seen many ads for rose hips.

What's the difference between the two (although I know what rose buds are)?

Are these consider treats or part of a good diet?

Linda

Rosebuds and Rose hips

I have attached a picture of a rose hip (left) and a rosebud (right), with a quarter in the middle for size reference. Rose hips are the fruits of the rosebush that are left behind after the bloom has died. They are fleshy and soft on the plant and are dried to make tasty chinnie treats. They are an excellent source of vitamin C and contain more than most citrus fruits. They also have antioxidants and other plant sterols that provide numerous other benefits. Whole rose hips, like those shown, contain many seeds and fine hairs that are irritating. My chins will crack open the rose hips and remove all of the seeds and hairs before eating the tasty shell. There are many CnH members who sell the dried rose hips in whole and/or crushed form. I'm assuming that you saw Randy-Chin's ad for rose buds and are considering purchasing some. I don't want to steal his thunder, so I will let you ask him about his rosebuds. I have purchased rosebuds from him and they are wonderful quality and very reasonably priced. He also sells rose hips and many other organic, chin safe treats if I remember correctly. My chins are picky about their treats, and some don't like certain things. I recommend you buy small quantities of a few things to see what your chins like. Unless you have lots of chins, the small amounts should last you quite a while since you should be feeding the treats sparingly. I have a bag of rosebuds that is old and I won't feed to my chins (which reminds me, I need to order more!). I put the old rosebuds in some potpourri material and tie a ribbon around it to use in my dresser drawers. It makes my clothes smells wonderful!

Hope this helps,
Katie

:wink2:

Attachments

• IMG_0313.jpg
    IMG_0313.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 25
I'm assuming that you saw Randy-Chin's ad for rose buds and are considering purchasing some. I don't want to steal his thunder, so I will let you ask him about his rosebuds.
:wink2:

Thank you for the explanation of rose hips.

Right now I'm at the learning and understanding point before I go out and buy anything, so you won't be stealing anyone's thunder. I have seen rose hips advertised a lot but had not seen rose buds. Someone on this list gave me a few rose hips this past week, and I gave one to each of my two cages of chins (two chins per cage). They loved them and finished them in one sitting.

Do rose buds contain similar healthful contents? Are they just dried rose buds from any rose bush (and I have multiple rose bushes)?

And I'm still trying to understand what is a treat for a chin and what is part of a good diet for a chin. Are these part of a good diet? For instance, are they more like us eating fresh fruits (which I consider a treat) or candy bars?

Linda

Latest posts

Back