Roots but no Tooth

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saphire

Christiane's Chinchillas
I believe this is very usual.

I have a little 11month boy here that broke his two bottom incissors. Got Xrays done to take a look at the roots, all is there and show very well that they broke jsut a little under the gum line. One broke clean and the other has a bit of a point.

I have beem to the vets every 2 to 21/2 weeks for the past 6 weeks to have the top incissors trimmed but no bottom ones showing yet. I check yesterday and can see anything yet.

I have another vet visit for a trimming this thrusday.
The vet and I have given ourselves up to this visit to see if they would grow back and look into it furtur.

Has anyone encountered this situation or any ideas or thoughts that I can bring up and discuss with the vet on this situation?

Your help will be appreciated.

If the pulp died then the teeth will never grow, it can become a problem or maybe not with abscesses in the future depending if the pulp is exposed. It would be like the traumatic treatment where the vet basically does a root canal on the teeth to stop malo chins teeth from growing.

Last edited:
Chico had one tooth that died. The vet had to remove everything that was left of it and then packed the socket with a dissolvable material soaked in Baytril. The area healed up fine.

He also had a tooth to break off at the gum line (root was not dead) and it grew back normally in a few months.

Thank you both.
Well lets hope the pulp is not dead =/

Critterrx, are you saying it took a few months before the tooth started showing at the gum line or is it after a few months the lenght of the tooth was back to normal?

Back