Roommates?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LexieHeg

I'm a Hedgie kinda girl
Does anyone have any experience with same sex hedgehogs in the same cage? Does it go over well and do they benefit at all from sharing a cage with another hedgie?

Thanks!

Some girls are okay with each other but it all depends on the individual girls. Also, even if they do fine together at first, that can change at any time so you always need to have a second cage just in case.

Boys should never share a cage as they can fight and cause severe injuries or death to each other.

boy roomates

I have my boys in the same little kid pool (with no water of course) all the time to play and they do just fine together and always end up passed out next to each other or on each other, but they are both still babies. In fact right now I've actually got them set up in the pool with their play pen set in it as well since it is higher and keeps them in the pool and safe and my little dogs and cats out. This is in the living room so I can keep an eye on everyone, but also where it is cooler since I don't have central air conditioning in my house and their cages are custom built and way too big and long to bring out into the living room. So basically they are living together right now in the little kid pool until I move to a bigger house with central a/c at the end of August and they are doing just fine living together in fact if I do put them in their separate cages my oldest boy (4 months) completely trashes his cage even though he has a wheel and plenty of toys to keep him occupied. As I said though they are both still babies (7 weeks and 4 months) so if you are going to try it then you must start when they are extremely young and not just throw them in together you have to put them in a place to play first to see how they are going to react to each other supervised at all times and I truly believe that my boys are an exception to the rule because as Nancy stated boys generally should never be together because probably 98-99% of the time they do end up fighting and hurting each other or fighting to the death.

I have 2 girls and while they live in separate cages, they do enjoy playtime together in thier playpen. I was told by the breeder I got them from that she has had great luck putting girls together, but as Nancy said, don't put boys together.

Back