rivet guns

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godofgods

i was thinking about getting on to put rivets on the top of some fleece that will drape over the FN cages. But ive never used or even seen one rly. What kind do ppl use for this? Looks like there are different kinds and sizes. And how do you use them correctly? I had bought a hammock that had rivets but one of them fell right off. Others had sharp metal on the underside.

Are you talking about grommets? Rivets are usually used in metalwork to hold sheets of metal or thick and tough fabric or leather together. Grommets are used on fleece and other fabric to make a hole lined with a metal ring to place a hook or clip through it for hanging purposes. What are you trying to accomplish?

if you're thinking of grommets, wont a hole in fleece work without them? I think grommets/buttonhole stuff is usually to keep the fabric from unraveling around the hole, which fleece shouldn't. Of course grommets may look nicer and more finished. Grommets I've had experience with are either put on with a tool or i think there's some you're supposed to be able to hand-clamp together. I've never had luck with them not coming apart after a while.

I guess grommets then. I just thought they were called rivets. When i order my hammocks it has the option of 'looped' or 'riveted' so i just assumed they were called rivets.

Grommets are used on fleece and other fabric to make a hole lined with a metal ring to place a hook or clip through it for hanging purposes. What are you trying to accomplish?

Basicaly that. Since my girls are tearing up there fleece in the cage, it looks like im not going to try making the fleece liners i wanted to. So im going to use the fleece to create walls on the out side of the cage to block there view out at certian times.

Like this, but full length.
One of my guys cant see the girls because of medical reasons. So if i let them out i have to make sure they cant see out of the cage.

I wanted to take full sheets of fleece to make covers for each side. I was going to try putting 'grommets' along the top of the fleece so i can use extra clips i have to attach them to the top of the cage. (Bottom loose so i can fold them up when im done and store on top of cage.)

While i could just put a whole in them and go from there, when my chins are excited they sometimes like to pull the fleece into there cage as much as the can. I worry that the hole on the top might start to rip under the pressure over time. So i wanted to grommet it.

fabric stores like Jo-anns should be able to help you out with grommets/grommet tools. The tools are kind of like a hand-hole hole punch, but they use the force to clamp together the grommet instead of punch out a hole. Some can be done by hand, but it seems like they get a stronger clamp with a tool. Sizes just depend on the size of the hole you want to have. It's been a while since I've used them, but I think you mark (typically using chalk or a fabric marker, you'd want to wash it off before it gets to the chins though) the spaces you want to place the grommets. Then you place one half of the grommet on each side of the fabric- with fleece it wont really matter which side is up or down- just be consistent for looks. Next use your hand or the tool to clamp the grommet. Afterwards you go and cut out the middle of the hole. Like I said- I haven't done it in a while, but there should be plenty of tutorials and probably even videos done by sewers.
http://www.joann.com/dritz-grommet-pliers-and-grommets/2549798.html#q=grommet&start=3

Went through a number of sights and couldnt find any real grommet pliers. Only that modle in the link. But the mass majority all seem to say that that modle is pretty bad. Anyone know of a decent pair?

42.95 for grommet pliers and grommets.... for something i could have technically done for free with safety pins.... maybe i rly am going crazy'

Back