RIP little man...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smidgeyy

I came home from a shopping trip and one of my chins had passed.
There was no evidence of the cause, as he was perfectly fine the night before. No weight loss, there wasn't anything he could have chewed/gotten into, no visible injuries, healthy diet... He was his same old self just a few hours before I found him.

I know that I took great care of him but I feel like I failed him. He was definitely my favorite of the two and I'm going to miss him a lot. I just want to know what happened and if there was anything I could have done.

This was the little guy that I got from Hendryx chinchillas... If anyone knows how I can contact her, I'd like to let her know... Or if you guys can get let her know for me, that would be even better.

Now aside from this... What can I do with his cage furniture? Since I don't know what happened, I don't want to throw it in my other chins cage... Is there a way to sanitize it? There are a few things that I would love to reuse but I don't have to. Thanks guys.

Personally I wouldn't reuse them if I didn't know the cause. In human medicine, there are things even bleach won't kill. This is just my own opinion though. A bleach solution may be safe if you rinse thoroughly and let it air out for a long time.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Sending hugs your way!

so sorry for your loss...

If it hasnt been to long you could try contacting your vet to see about an autopsy. It might be able to determine a possible cause.

Thank you. This has been the first real pet death that I've had. Working in the veterinary field, I deal with it all the time but it's completely different when it's your own. I mean, I've lost hamsters in the past but going into it, I knew that they're only going to be a temporary pet. This little guy was so loving and I spent so much time with him. I was not prepared for this at all since it came out of nowhere. It was just so unexpected, I just don't understand. :(

I have already buried him. I remember reading that unless done right away, it's difficult to determine the cause of death. It really wasn't on my mind at the time either. :/

I would not use bleach. I would use white vinegar and hot water, clean thoroughly, and if you have hot temperatures throw it in the sun. If not, you can bake it. Clean the cage with the same solution. It's a lot safer than bleach and nontoxic if you don't get it all rinsed out.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Can I still bake them with the hardware? I already took the cage apart and put it in the attic... I'd love another one but I'm just going to focus on my other existing chin for now.

Do you think it's even worth cleaning it and reusing? I could make new ones since I do have extra hardware... There is just one shelf in particular that I was proud of creating so I would like to save it. I don't want to risk something happening to my other chin since I don't know what happened to this one.

Thank you. This just sucks... It happened completely out of nowhere. I really loved the little guy. :(

True tunes, vinegar is safer for most things. I was just concerned about the possibility of something vinegar wont kill.... but heat should also help. Much better than my suggestion, now that you mentioned it.

What is the hardware? If it is a "hard" metal, Ive not had an issue in the oven. Just keep a close eye on it.

I think it can be done, but personally, I don't reuse things from those who have passed, no matter the species. I actually have a box of personal things from animals who have crossed the bridge that I couldnt reuse, and I couldnt part with. But thats just me. What feels right to you? Tunes had good advice for cleaning the items, but it really is just a personal choice.

I am so sorry.

You can bake it with the hardware, or just remove it before baking. As far as it being a danger to your other chin, if it is contagion has already happened, especially if they were in the same room, the same play area, the same anything really. Keep in mind though, sometimes chins just die. He could have bloated and you didn't know. He could have jumped, fallen, and landed wrong. There is no way to know without a necropsy being performed. I have 100s of chins and I honestly don't panic because one might pass. There's no rhyme or reason for it, sometimes it just happens. Watch your other chin and be sure he's behaving normally - normal poops, eating, drinking, weight, etc. Weight is a pretty big indicator of chin illness. That's probably the best you can do at this point.

BTW - There have been studies stating that white vinegar kills just as much as bleach without the residue or the worry about toxicity. That's why I always suggest it over bleach unless bleach is specifically recommended for a specific "something."

I use vinegar to clean the cages, so I have plenty on hand. I think I'll just keep the stuff and make new ones... Perhaps the project will keep me busy.

Tunes, you do bring up a good point. They do share a room and a dust bath. I haven't noticed any odd behaviors with my existing chin, but then again... There was nothing up with the other one either. I kept up with both of their weights and there was no cause for concern there.

It had to have happened a few hours(5-6) before I found him and I read that they are useless unless done right away... Would it have still been beneficial to try anyway? Nothing I can do about that now though, but it would be useful to know for the future.

So it's not out of the norm to just lose them suddenly? I just never expected this to happen. I kept him in perfect conditions, healthy food/hay, no harmful toys, etc... :( He was laying in his house, as if he was asleep when it happened.

Latest posts

Back