RIP Chilli baby

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazy

My baby boy passed away Thursday and about 3:30 pm. Tuesday morning I had noticed that he had another bladder infection. They said to get a urine sample. I tried and then called Wednesday saying I'd take him in in the morning the next day so thy could do it, because I had no luck still. Wednesday night I noticed he wouldn't play and I got scared, but I didn't think he would die...I took him in and he was lathargic. In the car he got as close to me in the cage as he could and had his hands on the bars and gave me this look. Everyone thinks he was saying goodbye. So, I told him I'd be back later to pick him up and that I love him. They called me a couple hours later saying that he had a 60% chance to make it because he had wall to wall with white blood cells. Then 30 mins later called and said he wouldn't move. Three mins later he stopped breathing. He couldn't control his bladder in the end, and I just feel so awful that he passed before I made it to the vet to say goodbye. I said I'd be back and I didn't make it in time...I got him cremated and he's with me at my desk right now.

I have the problem with his brother. He didn't eat for like a day, but is eating a very small amount now. He lurched away from me thursday night and didn't want me to touch him. But now he sits around looking lonely and only seems happy when he's out. They did EVERYTHING together. They ate together, slept together to where they slept on each other, groomed each other, took a dust bath by squeezing themselves in the bathhouse together at the same time. He's never been alone before. The times I've had to separate them for health problems the cages were right next to each other. They would desperately try to reach each other. They were inseparable.

I'm giving him extra attention, but I'm worried that he's going to be so lonely. They were both about 4 years old, so he's so young I feel bad that he has to be alone from now on. I don't know if he'd accept another chinchilla. Any advice concerning him would be very appreciated.

On another note...I can't seem to eat or drink. I'm having difficulty sleeping. I'm becoming very ill and that's not good for my other animals. I'm jealous that Chico gets to see Chilli before I do. He may have not been human, but he was my adopted son and now he's gone. I felt no different that he was a chinchilla. I love my children as if they were biologically mine.

I was falling behind in school work from health problems, now I'm REALLY falling behind. It went to fast that the medicine has to take three days to work and they didn't know if bring him in earlier would have even saved him. I still feel as though I failed him.

Awwww. I'm really sorry to hear about your baby boy. I has success adding a young chin girl with an older girl. The older girls cagemate beat her ( nothing serious) and she went into deep depression when I seperated them forever. I adopted out the aggresive chin and bought my Lydia a kit named Pippy. They took to each other the moment I put Pippy with Lydia. They are still very happy. Nothing can replace your little guy. But adding a new little one might lift your spirits and your single chin too.

Thanks so much you guys. I'm just can't imagine Chico as an older brother. He's always been the little baby of the family, even though he's not the youngest animal I have. His personality is very dependent. Do you think he'd be an okay match for a young chin? He was quite bossy with Chilli and pretty darn dominant. He would bite Chilli's butt when he wanted him to move. Hasn't happened in a long while, but the baby sometimes get nightmares and even night terrors too. He freaked out so bad from that night terror he couldn't calm down and was screaming running around the cage while his brother tried to calm him down...Makes me realize just HOW dependent he was on his brother :(

Oh, another sad story that happened yesterday was that Chico was out and me and his dad where in bed with him. His daddy got up to sit at the computer. When Chico came out from under the blanket he was playing under he freaked out and ran over to where his dad was. Then he saw him and wanted to say hi and get in his lap. He went back to playing but kept checking back to make sure he was still there about every minute. Poor baby is scared to lose anyone else :(
Made me cry again seeing him like that...

oh man, i am soo soo sorry for your loss. i know it's really hard to deal with, for you and your other chins. but i promise it will only get easier from here! and you said any advice is appreciated:

my chinchilla is about 2, and his brother was 2 as well. they were together for life until timo passed away on august 30th 2009. its been hard for bounce (his brother) and i, but id recommend you stay with your chin as mcuh as you can. even if you are just in the same room as him, reading or anything. the way ive tried to keep bounce happy is.. i bought him some new things for his cage, spending lots of my time with him and letting him out more often. he gets happy when he gets out of his cage! it will help your younger chin feel more independant.

good luck, all the best. i hope you cheer up soon! hang in there <3

Thank you all so much. I'm so sorry about Timo. Maybe our babies are playing together in heaven right now.

Back