RIP Camaro

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dabou

mommy of Kahlua and Pedro
Well everyone, I know I haven't been the most active member here in a while, much things have happened (moving out, new job, etc) and I could not get online much. So yeah I have moved out of Sudbury to Quebec city, and brought my furries with me. Kahlua my chinnie and Camaro my hammie. For the past month or so, I had noticed a lost of balance with Camaro, like if he had numb legs when waking up. But he was still running in his hammie-wheel so I guessed it was okay. He was still eating and drinking fine, gnawing on his cage bars as he wanted to be taken or he wanted his food.

But three days ago, I cleaned his cage, and as usual I lift up the tops of his cage, put it on the counter then put him in the cage to clean the bottom of the cage. His legs felt weirdly cold and he was barely moving, looking at me with very tired eyes. Usually he'd move more than that, wanting me to put him back down so he can sleep. I thought it felt weird......and I was right.

Two days ago, I woke up to a barely breathing Camaro...his breathing was laboured, though the lenght of time between each breath was getting longer...and longer...He never sleeps with me, but that day, I took him in my hands and kept him with me for a long time....He was getting cold...and the only reaction he had was to open up his eyes a tiny bit. I spent a good half an hour with him, then I used the hamster fluff that I bought a long time ago (and didnt use since I was told it's not that good to use that since they can't digest it) and I placed him back in his cage, comfortably curled in his fluff. I went to work feeling rather down that day, and as I came back at 2:20am...he was gone... I buried him in the woods, close to a river, and amongst little purple flowers...I think he will be fine where he is now...

But I miss him...he had been with me for about 2 years and a half now, and I think the moving out led him there...considering his old age...rest in peace Camaro...

Attached are memorable pictures of him in my opinion. First is him when he was about 1 year old, in a salad. I'll always find it very cute ^_^
Second one is him with his morning glare. When I would wash his cage, as mentionned above, I would leave him in the top of his cage, on the counter. And one time, after I was done, he was sleeping on the corner, and I slowly lifted the cage without him waking up. I took pictures and then he woke up and glared at me like that. It was hillarious ^_^
Neat memories to keep in mind that I wanted to share

Attachments

• Camaro-salad.jpg
    Camaro-salad.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 97
  • morning-glare.jpg
    morning-glare.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 97
I'm so sorry to hear about your hamster. For such little critters, they can be quite lovable. I have a hammie who is closing in on 2 1/2 years and I have noticed him slowing down a bit. He sleeps a lot more than before so each day he is with us is a blessing. I've been preparing myself as well as my kids that our hammie is getting old and will be gone one of these days. I'll probably take it the hardest. I have just buried my kitty in my flower garden so I can truely empathize with you. Thanks for sharing with us and he sounds like he is buried in a beautiful spot. May he RIP

I'm sorry for your loss. Camaro was definitely a cutie.

im so sorry to hear about little camaro. he was a cute little guy.
and lived a nice happy life!

thanks everyone

Thank you everyone for your kind words, they are truly appreciated *hugs you all*

to Jenn : hammies can also live quite a long time, even when they start slowing down. I had one that lived almost 5 years...Of course he had pretty much no energy left at the end, and his fur was kinda missing at some places due to oldness, but I remember him staying in a weird coma state for three days. The night where I told him he could go, that I was letting him go, he died while I was sleeping. When they stay with us for a long time, I think they sometimes wait for us to let them go...which we have to do... and which I did with wee Camaro.

Latest posts

Back