Reusing shelves after death?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BooBoo*TheKiddo*

Is it safe to reuse wood shelves after the death of a chin. If so, how should they be cleaned, etc.

I'm taking apart the cage of a chin who passed away earlier this month and was going to toss the shelves out but my dad ask me why not reuse them in some of my other cages, or in a cage upgrade.
So I thought no harm in finding out. I think he just doesn't want to make so many shelves.

Thanks in Advance.

I agree with the above, if there was a diagnosis and the cause was not contagious, sand and re-use.

a sheet of wood is cheap enough that i would just replace them. Not with the risk of something going wrong. I might keep the hardware tho (hanger bolts, washers, wing nut.) It might be the one time i would actually chemical clean them tho with an incredible rinse and a long drying/smell dissipating period.

I had to bury my ferret a month or two back. I actually buried him with both of his hammocks in his coffin. Mine as well have a little comfort'

He died suddenly. I was cleaning cages and finished his cage about 2:30am, he took a bath, ran his wheel, etc. He was fine. Went back into the room about 4:30am to check on everyone before bed and he had passed.
I don't know what happened. I had a necropsy done but it was inconclusive. His vet said he look perfectly healthy, other than the fact that he was dead.
Everyone else is fine.

Latest posts

Back