Reuniting Daddy and Mommy chinchillas

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plato

It has been. 7 days since birth and I just reunited the Mommy and babies to the Daddy. They were fine for about half an hour then she got aggressive. This lasted about fifteen minutes and then she returned to the kits. I'm not sure what to do at this point. He's staying at the top of the cage and she is on the bottom. Do I separate them at this point or wait?

If you put the daddy back he'll get mom pregnant again. You should keep them separated to avoid another breeding right away. I've always kept my couples separated unless I wanted them to breed.

Yeah, they aren't like people, daddy will pregnate anything he can, keep them separate. He was probably trying to mate, and mommy didn't want it

Separate them now and keep them that way until the kits have been weaned at the earliest. Otherwise, she will end up pregnant while still nursing her babies and that is really hard on her little body. If these chins are not pedigreed and haven't been evaluated to see if they are breeding quality, then they should remain separated, permanently.

I just had to remove a male from a very pregnant female this evening. She can't stand to have him around. I keep my chins seporated until kits are weaned unless the female is execptionally slow breeder. Does either chin have a pedigree? Have they been shown?

Reuniting is not a good idea. And a multi-level cage can injure the babies or keep mom from feeding them often enough. Put them in a baby safe cage ASAP. See baby sticky.

They are separated now they are rescue chins that I know nothing about.Thanks for the information

Rescues should never be bred. Your male and female need to be kept apart permanently. If you have kits that are male and female, you can put a male in with dad when he's weaned and leave a female with mom, but definitely keep the male away from the female.

I really do have a lot to learn.... she came to me already pregnant. This is my first experience with kits.I just couldn't leave them in the situation they were in. I do appreciate the advice

I understand your eagerness to have kits, but it really is to your benefit as well as the chins not to breed animals without having their pedigree or having them certified or at least graded by an experienced breeder. Good luck to you.

Latest posts

Back