Respiratory Infection Questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarinuto

chin smitten
First of all, my chinchilla is going to the vet this morning. So I am by no means posting here in place of the vet.

I noticed he was sneezing last night, so I immediately separated him to a different part of the house with his own enclosure.

My concern is: how contagious is this for my other chins? I'm really worried about everyone, especially him.

I've never had a chinchilla with signs of a URI before... so I'm not very familiar with all the risks.

I freaked out and cleaned everyone's cage last night hoping to get rid of any germs (even though I cleaned it on Saturday this past weekend)... but I am still really scared and concerned.

Is this something that is generally bacterial and spreads easily or is it something that is usually isolated to the animal in question?

Any knowledge is appreciated. Thank you.

Does the chin have any chronic issues? If it came out of the blue I would be concerned about the other chins, ask the vet if premedicating the others with antibiotics as a precaution.

He hasn't had chronic issues. This is the first time I've seen this with him or any of my chins.

I asked the vet about pre-medicating and she said that she doesn't want to give antibiotics to chinchillas who do not need it, but if another starts exhibiting any signs, then we could treat them immediately.

The little guy has antibiotics and a decongestant... he just looks so miserable :(

There are times when I agree with your vet, don't treat healthy chins but in this case since this came out of the blue on a chin whose immune system is not whacked due to a chronic condition I would insist on premeding the others, that is just me, based on my experience that URIs kill frequently, others may not agree but that is my 2 cents.

That's how I felt as well... especially because things progress so quickly. I trust my vet and don't really trust any of the emergency vets around... so I'm even less happy that tomorrow is Thanksgiving.

I will call and see if she would feel comfortable medicating the younger chins at least if I give her accurate weights

The youngest is 8 months, everyone else is over a year. Dr. Taylor said the same thing about Baytril. I guess that it has been shown to hurt cartilage and growth in young dogs and cats, so she cautions against it in chinchillas just in case it has the same effect.

Is this the same reason you were thinking as well?

I have a question for everyone. So my babies have been healthy since the case one chin had with URI. However, I've never had any of my animals suffer from it previously in the years I've had chinchillas, so I'm still learning some about this illness.

It seems like, from what I've read, that after 30 days, the other chins are mostlikely safe. What are other's experience with this? Have you had chinchillas pop up with the illness after a case has been resolved and its been longer than 30 days?

I just find myself so paranoid still. I'm full of fear about another falling ill and so I'm constantly analyzing every sound and move they make. Obviously, I should always be aware of their behavior, but can I stop being hyper paranoid yet?

Help!

Just like when a human is done with antibiotics..as long as symptoms don't persist then they are considered no long contagious. It should be okay to move him back as long as stuff has been cleaned post the end of the antibiotic

Chinchilla URIs perform the bell curve, day 7-14 are the peak, day 14-28 the chances decline rapidly, I would say you are pretty close to being in the clear.

Thanks both of you! I will leave him be the king of his own room for a bit longer and assuming he stays healthy and all the other chinnies do, then I'll move him back in. :)

Latest posts

Back