Rescuing 5 Chinchillas, Need Help.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarissaRelf

Animal Lover <3
I came upon 5 chinchillas on craigslist. There are in some of the worst conditions I've seen. Tiny cage, no bedding, green water, no hay, poop in food bowl, plastic/wire everything. The cage looked like they haven't been cleaned in a year and she wasn't selling any of the suplies with them. I have cages and liners but nothing else. I would be so greatful if anyone would be willing to help. I need water bottles, food bowls, tunnels/hidey house (even a oatmeal container I can cover with fleece would be amazingly helpful.). And then things that would really help but aren't necessary are food, ledges, and chews. Sorry if I am asking too much but anything you are willing to donate (or even sell me for a small price) would be SO helful. Thank you guys so much. Personal message me if you have any questions or concerns. I appreciate it.

Are you able to provide veterinary care for them? Being only 14, I hope your parents are okay with this. Rescuing 5 chins from a completely unknown situation will get very expensive quickly, especially if they have medical issues. You will need five times the amount of food, bedding, time, accessories, etc. Not to mention time.

If your parents aren't on board to help you financially and with general care, perhaps surrendering them to a local chin rescue or breeder willing to take them in would be a better idea.

You also have to remember that you can't save them all, especially if you are not in a position to do so.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
Oh yes, of course. We have an emergency chin vet fund if it's ever needed (God forbid). My mom is the one who decided to take them in, she is very okay with it. We were going to take them to a recue but there aren't any close enough that we feel comfortable with taking that long of a car ride with. Thank you for your concern and I completely understand. Thank you:)

Are they males? Females? A mix of possibly bred? Rescuing is a huge commitment. There is a lot of thought that needs to go into it. Are you planning on keeping them or possibly rehoming some/all of them? The more info you can give us the better we can help with advise.

3 females, 2 males, 4 standard, 1 beige. Socializing and possibly rehoming a few, keeping a few. I undertsand the commitment, time and money they will require and I am glad you guys are asking questions.

I understand you just got them all, but are they all in different cages? Even if the cages are cheap and small it's better than keeping them all together where they might breed. I'd also advise getting them all to a vet as soon as possible. A vet may be willing to work with you on pricing since you rescued them. I know some vets do rescue discounts. For sure you want the females looked at incase any of them are pregnant. Any idea of their ages or anything else? It is awesome that your mom is on board with this. Yes, you can't save them all but if your mom is willing to help then I see no problem with giving these little guys some much needed care. If you do purchase cages I would make sure you have a few baby safe ones. It is very likely that one or all of the females is pregnant and you don't want to wake up one morning to escaped kits!

I don't see any reason to take them to a vet unless they look sick. Separate the males and females. Don't rehome the females for 120 days after you get them so make sure they are not pregnant.

Glad you are taking them instead of someone without experience. Hope just a little tlc is all that's in order. But you're in a good group to ask if anything does come up.

Thanks guys! Again, I really appreciate the support.
I understand you just got them all, but are they all in different cages? Even if the cages are cheap and small it's better than keeping them all together where they might breed. I'd also advise getting them all to a vet as soon as possible. A vet may be willing to work with you on pricing since you rescued them. I know some vets do rescue discounts. For sure you want the females looked at incase any of them are pregnant. Any idea of their ages or anything else? It is awesome that your mom is on board with this. Yes, you can't save them all but if your mom is willing to help then I see no problem with giving these little guys some much needed care. If you do purchase cages I would make sure you have a few baby safe ones. It is very likely that one or all of the females is pregnant and you don't want to wake up one morning to escaped kits!

They were all seperated she said but she wasn't selling the suplies with them so I will be keeping the 3 girls (sex them myself, just in case) in he same HUGE cage and then the 2 boys will be in another cage. She said they were all around 4 or 5 years old. Depending on the looks of this a vet visit will be in order.

Thank you guys who have sent me stuff! I really appreciate it:) Not nearly enough but it's a great start. Hope to have the money to buy the rest *Fingers crossed*.

I was speaking for both of us. I hope we have the money. We are both putting money into it because we both agrees it would be the right thing to do.

Have you contacted the seller to arrange to buy these 5 chinchillas? Are they reserved for you?
What happens if the seller lets these chinchillas go to someone else while you are waiting to save up the money/collect the equipment you need?

UPDATE: For all of you who have been asking questions, donating and supporting me, the 5 chinchillas are home. And should soon be settled. Turned out there are 4 girls and a boy (They didn't sex them correctly). They are scruffy and will need some major TLC but they are still gorgeous chinchillas. A vet visit has been made for next week for all five. 2 girls have loose stool and the boy has mucus in his eyes but all of them are getting looked at. They have been given the a mix of the food they were feeding (kaytee with treats) and mazuri. Hoping to get them swithed fully to mazuri. They are very skittish and obviously haven't been handled much but hopefully with proper care, time and TLC they will be sweet little babies. Thanks again guys! :)

Back