Rescued a Chin that looks terrible.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could also be strep zooepidemicus. We dealt with that in guinea pigs. It mimics strep equine which is strangles in horses and causes infected lumps under the chin and base of the neck. Doesn't drain well so best removed surgically as an encapsulated abscess. You'd have to get a vet to check exactly what it is and what your options are.

She needs to start retaining electrolytes too. Put a teaspoon of Gatorade in with her water bottle. This recommendation came from the vet of a distinguished zoo nearby and a lifetime chin owner.

UPDATE:

Sorry for not being able to get online and update you all, but I just started a new job. Anyways Sushi is all better, they drained the abscess back when I mentioned it. She is now so much happier and healthier. She is gaining weight slowly but surely. She oddly doesn't like hay cube or rose hips!!! She now has gain enough strength to jump up to every level and climbs all over me. Her fur is also getting better, she has not.chewed once since being here. I am very happy to have rescued her and very likely have saved her life.

Thank you all for the advice! You all are wonderful. I'll post pictures soon =)

P.s. Susan I will probably make an order soon, I need TOYS and possibly another wheel.

That's really great news! I sometimes think rescued chinchillas can make the best pets. They seem to appreciate having a safe and happy home once they get one.

Latest posts

Back