Rescue kit color question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

e.murphy518

I love my chinchildren!
The humane society that I am an intern at had several chins brought in all in one cage. When I went to look at them I just couldn't resist this one kit. She is an 8 week old female, and I have a question about her mutation (no particular reason, I am just always curious). I don't know what colors her parents were. I know she is mosaic, but she seems much more "silver" than my other mosaics, her ears are also a different shade of gray. I wanted to know if there is something like a violet mosaic? or would she just be considered a white mosaic?

Also, I have had kits before but they were 11 and 12 weeks when I got them. She is handleable but skittish. The water level in her bottle has changed so I know she is drinking, but her hay hasn't been touched. Should I be concerned or is it likely she is just nervous being in a new home?

Thanks

http://i.imgur.com/8fpj121.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/VW9RuHm.jpg

She also has a white tip on her tail

Last edited:
wow, thats beautiful.. even for a chin.

Its hard to say about the not eating hay. I have no doubt shes scared and nervous. But 8 weeks is also very young. Most ppl will only just start to ween a kit at 8 weeks. So i don't know just how far along the kit is with that process. If it was done right, or if the chin was just suddenly separated form her mom. Its hard to say without knowing.

She came in with five other chins, one was a male but it was her 8 week old brother. I know the humane society just separated the kits without any process (I had no say in that decision) so I am bit worried after your response. Is there anything I should be doing to make sure she is healthy? The kits I have had were both fully weaned already :/ I just want to make sure I do everything right

there are a lot of people who sell kits at 8 weeks (I am NOT one of those). At 8 weeks a kit would be eating plenty of adult chin food to be ok. If she is eating, drinking and pooping she is ok. She will sleep a lot since she is still a baby.

She's lovely, I'm not surprised you couldn't resist. :)) I wonder if she has ToV? Seen a few ToV whites like that, with the darker face, and silver colouring.

She is a mosaic. I would get in the habit of weighing her. That's the best way to judge if she is eating well. Most kits will grow steadily, any loss can be a sign of trouble.

Back