Reputable chinchilla breeders?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tranquility

Just wondering what would constitute as a reputable breeder? Do you know any that are near Toronto?

I'm just doing research in advance and would like to know what is acceptable in the chinchilla circles. Another forum mentioned some breeders but they would just turn around and contact the would-be buyer and offer to ship a chin to them sight-unseen, not knowing anything about the buyer. I would have thought that a reputable breeder would at least do some background check on the would-be buyer. Would like to hear everyone's views. Thank you.

A hobbyist might do some checking on a perspective owner, a rancher would not. That doesn't make the rancher less reputable. To people with 500 or 1000 chins, it's a business transaction. JCPenney doesn't do a background check before you buy a pair of jeans, neither will a large rancher. Even some hobbyists don't do a background check, because frankly, it could all be a load of bull. I've gotten burned more than once when someone put up a good front, only to find out later it was complete BS. Once the chin leaves my barn, I just have to hope for the best.

Reputable to me is the animals are well cared for. The environment the chins are kept in is appropriate (air conditioned, lighted, etc.). Pedigrees are available, even if you don't want one or don't intend to breed. The breeder is knowledgeable about chins and their care. If they are known by others, do they have a good reputation? Can you return to them if you need help?

Those are the kinds of things I would want to know before purchasing a chin from someone.

Well put tunes.

I don't do background checks for the reason tunes listed. People can appear one way but be completely different. I have seen people who have lots of money do nothing when their pet is ill and I have seen people with nothing work really hard so their pet has everything.

Currently Toronto has quite a problem with 'backyard breeders' popping up. By BYB I mean people who are just throwing any two chins together, regardless of their background, so they can make a quick buck and look at cute babies. These breeders are not interested and/no nothing about how to breed for quality and the health consequences of not doing so. It's easy for someone to say they are a 'registered' breeder with 'pedigree' chins, but not actually have a clue what that really means.

I'm still puzzled by the lack of background checks from otherwise reputable breeders. For example, I'm also a member of a dog forum and reputable breeders there definitely will do a check. Obviously it's not 100% foolproof, but at least the effort is there to try to filter out some undesirable would-be owners.

Is this just a different standard that shouldn't apply to chinchilla circles? If so, why is that? To me, a pet is a pet, doesn't matter from something small as a gerbil to a dog. Wouldn't reputable breeders want to do the best in their power to ensure that their pets go to a good home with a good owner? Maybe things are different for chinchillas? Just want to learn more about chinchilla breeders and acceptable practices.

There are no good breeders in Toronto that I know of. There used to be. Many people have chins shipped in because of that.

I do have some rescues and a few are pedigreed chins that just came in.

There are no good breeders in Toronto that I know of. There used to be. Many people have chins shipped in because of that.

I do have some rescues and a few are pedigreed chins that just came in.

Did the good breeders just move away? If so, do you have their contacts? Or did they stop breeding?

Thanks, I may consider rescue if the time comes for another chin.

Stopped breeding and sold their herds if I recall, though Tagna is much more well versed in this than I am. The people I know in TO who have chins from reputable breeders either had them shipped from out of province or brought them up from the states.

Most of the breeders I knew stopped breeding and some moved away. There were 6 or 7 plus the Riedstra ranch. Sadly Tom the rancher died, his son sold the chins and the hobby breeders are gone.

And yes, the rescue has new chins. One of the hobby breeders had to surrender the last of her chins.

Most of the breeders I knew stopped breeding and some moved away. There were 6 or 7 plus the Riedstra ranch. Sadly Tom the rancher died, his son sold the chins and the hobby breeders are gone.

And yes, the rescue has new chins. One of the hobby breeders had to surrender the last of her chins.

That is sad to learn...that our province previously had some good breeders but now they are all gone.

Thank you for the rescue work that you are doing. It is very admirable. I am presently not ready to take in a chin but will definitely consider a rescue besides buying one from a reputable breeder.

Tranquility, I have sold several animals in different parts of Ontario and have driven. I drive them out to my customers.
I drive through Ontario about 4 times per year to transfer animals from one rescue to another. I actually helped the Canadian Chinchilla Rescue on many occasions to pick up, animals, cages and railroad rescues to the US.

That is sad to learn...that our province previously had some good breeders but now they are all gone.

Thank you for the rescue work that you are doing. It is very admirable. I am presently not ready to take in a chin but will definitely consider a rescue besides buying one from a reputable breeder.

It is a sad state for lack of chin breeders. In a span of a year so many stopped. I know many people end up shipping chins in from the west coast or going to the USA.

I always have many chins up for adoption!

Latest posts

Back