Renting with a Chinchilla- Tips?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've encountered all sorts of stuff. My current landlords decided chins rated as high as dogs in terms of destructiveness, so they charged me the full pet fee (which I was OK with because the apartment was really great, and the price was a good deal, regardless).

The apartment I'm moving into in a week or so didn't even consider chins as pets (basically all caged animals rate as high as a piece of furniture). They say as long as they don't chew through the wall, they won't charge me any fees for them.

While I was looking, I found a bit of everything. The ones that were adamant about their no-pets policies, the no exotics places, there was even one that advertised as "pet friendly" but when I asked they said they only allowed cats. But I found that it's best to just say it straight and that way there are no doubts on what you're going to run into. If they don't know what chinchillas are I usually say they're like a fluffy short-eared rabbit, and most of them are ok with that description. Just mention that they're really quiet, spend most of their time caged and asleep, that usually helps to tilt their indecision towards your favor. You can also carry a photo of your chins around and show it.

Back