Renaming a Chin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michelle43

Do Chinchillas learn their name?

I adopted mine from a friend a few weeks back. His name is "Chinny" lol. His precious young daughter named him. He seems to respond to it, or maybe it is just my voice.

I have been wondering if I should rename him or just let it go. I have kinda gotten used to just calling him Chinny.
:hmm:

Oh he's beautiful!
I changed two on my chinchillas' names. Ralphy was Bailey for like 2 years and then I took him. It took a while but he knows it. He won't come when you call him or anything though heh. Spooky was Waldo's name for almost a year before I adopted him. He knows it too I think.

I think more importantly if you're used to it it's going to be super hard to switch. I think it's a cute name :D

I think they're like any of the higher intelligence animals, they learn the association with/of certain words.

Radar responds to his name, and certain other keywords with appropriate reactions. Not to the same degree as my cats or dogs, but it's there. ...I would think renaming them would be the same if you tried to do it to a cat or dog, it'll be a long process of rebuilding the association to the name but possible.

Chinny is a cute name though :D

I have given all but 2 of my chins new names when I adopted them. Some came with some crazy names so I decided a new name for a new life. Some didn't even have names when I took them in.

I know some of the rescues that I've adopted out have had a name change.

We changed Bindi's name to Annabelle when we got her in September. She does respond to it, but I'm guessing its more the cottonwood or apple wood chips that we are holding. :thumbsup:

I changed Winston's name when I got him. I really dont think they learn names, I think its more so the tone of your voice, pitches, etc. Like dogs.

or you could name him Vinnie! or something that rhymes or sounds like mr chinny.

i changed 1 of my chins name & the another was a rescue and no one knew his name, so i gave him one. he is my smartest chin and definitely knows his name. in fact most of my boys do. but i also stand in front of their section of cage and repeat their name and i say "hi" to each one by name every day. yes, i am a dork ;)

Back