Remove second floor in Fn or keep?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tina000

So I have a double model FN cage and I have seen a lot of chin owners that don't have that middle floor and just make it one large cage. I was just curious as to how everyone else likes to use their Fn and if their chins prefer the second floor or prefer the jumping room? Really the only thing that stops me is the fear of having one of my chins fall from the top of the cage all the way down to the second floor.

I removed the middle because it seemed to block too much light to the bottom of the cage for my liking, and also limited my customizing some. The only real issue is you do have to be more careful with making sure you have overlaps so the chin can't fall far. My chins do seem to like the extra jumping room, since they can jump/race from the top to the bottom over multiple ledges and shelves taking multiple different routes.

The middle level does give peace of mind though, if one of my guys fell just right (or wrong) they could possibly miss or tumble out of a hammock and fall more then I would like (not from the top of the cage to the bottom though, and the bottom is pretty padded). I guess it also comes down to your chins, age, how clumsy they are, etc.

i dont like the extra risk of it. Plus i think the opposite; no floor gives me less room to work with. Between the corner litter pans, there large hut, the large wheel, i need a good bit of surface room for all this.

pics a few years old, but you can get the idea.

BoysCage_zpsfc0c0768.jpg

Back