Reliable Rabbit Forum?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRose

So I'm trying to help out my brothers and sisters with their new pets. They were just given two rabbits who they say are both boys (I'm doing a double check just in case) but I know only a moderate about about the current or breeder standard of caring for them. I'm rounding up information, looking for a suitable cage, etc but I could use help. If anyone knows of a reliable site like this one on rabbits that would be awesome. I love my dad but he was born in a very different generation and place and taking care of an animal is just making sure they have food and water. Vet care, good nutrition, etc isn't really a priority but I want to make sure these guys get good care. Let me know guys! Thanks

- Barbie

rabbitsonline.net.

Its a great site. I am Myia09 on this site.

Here is a general care sheet I wrote up myself (Member of the ARBA, Rabbit Rescue Volunteer, SPCA rabbit)

Rabbit Care Sheet- Basic Overview
Rabbits are wonderful pets. Here is a basic overview of care:

Housing: Rabbits come in many different sizes, and each size needs to be accomadated individually. I personally use NIC (Neat Idea Cube) cages. They are wire squares sold usually at Target, Wal Mart, or Kmart used to create storage shelves. They make for a great custom cage! The squares are secured together using electrical zip ties, found at home improvement stores. Here is a great link on NIC cages:

http://www.rabbitcondo.com/

Another great place to get ideas is rabbitsonline.net.

Giant Super Pet cages are another option, as are hutches and x-pens. Please allow room for your bunny to streach out, stand up, and hop around!

Litter: Rabbits can in fact be litter boxed trained! A large cat box should be provided, as most corner litter boxes become too small for most rabbits. A rabbit will usually litter train itself, but placing hay in or near the box promotes using the box. For litter, Wood Stove pellets are highly reconmended, but other choices include yesterdays news, pine shavings (NOT ceder or other wood), and carefresh

Diet: Rabbits have a very basic diet. They should be fed a quality rabbit pellet. Some great brands are Purina Advanced Show Diet, Oxbow, and American Pet Diner. Rabbits under a year should be given unlimted pellets, and then over a year 2/3 a cup a day.

They should also be fed unlimited timothy hay, with alfalfa, medow grass, brome, and other hay as supplements. The quality of hay also matters, Kaytee brand is NOT reconmended..you can buy Oxbow hay in stores, or go to your local feed store.

At 3 months, rabbits can start to be introduced to fresh vegtables. These vegtables should incldue DARK LEAFY greens, like romaine, kale, parsely, cilantro. An occsional apple or other non-citrus fruit can be fiven as a treat in portions of 2 tablespoons or less.

Grooming: Depends on the rabbit. Some long-haired rabbits such as Lionheads need daily grooming, other short haired breeds do not. All rabbits should have their nails clip periodically. I reconmend the "Gullotine" clippers, just make sure not to clip the quick.

Health: Rabbits tend to be very hardy creatures with few problems, however if problems do arise take your rabbit to a exotic vet as soon as possible. It is important to spay and nueter your rabbits, it has shown to greatly increase the length of your rabbits life. Also female rabbits are three times more likley to develop cancer when not spayed!

Rabbits should also be given out of cage playtime for at least 2 hours a day. This also means bunny proofing your home! Wires, books, and other items may become bunny lunch.

Also, be aware when your rabbits hit puberty they will most likley fight. You need to get them nueterd and introduce them again.

Back