Reintroduction after two week separation...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Pearl

I had to seperate my two chinnies for two weeks after my baby had to have her leg amputated (cage accident). She is 20 weeks old, my older girl (Pearl) is coming 8 this year. They got along GREAT before this, and Eve would sleep on top of Pearl! :heart3: The original introduction wasn't bad, I did it over a few weeks while letting them play outside of the cage. Then when I got the new Critter Nation cage, I put them together since it was neutral territory. It went great with very little arguing. I got the ok to put the girls back together and when I did, it didn't go well. Pearl was very mean to Eve, and I had to get Eve out of there because she was scared to death and just wanted me to hold her. Should I treat this like they were never together before? I did show Eve to Pearl during her recovery period but never let them play because the vet didn't want Eve getting crazy and hurting herself. Or, could Pearl be upset because Eve is "different" now? I am not sure about how to go about this now, because of Eve's handicap she is not quite able to get away quickly enough and I don't want her hurt. She is clearly depressed about being alone. :confused:

I would try again using other methods. Including trimming the wiskers of the more aggressive chinchilla. It happens sometimes. Sometimes they go together smoothly as can be and sometimes they are a pain in the rear

I would start over as if they had never been together. I have two girls who used to share a cage. I split them up when I decided to breed one of the two with the son of the other. When I went to move them back a couple of months later, they fought and they used to love each other. Take it slow and hopefully they will decide they like each other again.

Yepp...start all over and just take it slow. If it doesn't work out and you think your girl is being affected by it you can always get her a cuddle buddy!:hug2:

You also might want to try the small cage (agressive chin) inside the larger cage (less agressive chin) and then switch them...Peggy (tunes) swears by it!

Back