Refinishing a Ferret Nation

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squeak

chinnie slave
I am picking up two Ferret Nation's tomorrow off Craigslist for my chinnies. The price is super cheap because the cages need some work, so I came here looking for advice on how to safely refinish them.

Attached are pictures the person sent me for reference. This is one of the cages - the other is in a bit worse shape rust-wise.

My plan of action was to clean them first off with a hose if they are still as dirty as in the pictures! Ick. Then clean them with a solution of vinegar and water. Afterwards, I want to scrub the rusted spots down with a wire brush or steel wool - then paint over the spots if possible. If someone can recommend a good lead and zinc free paint that is safe for chinchillas, that would be great. I have plenty of time to let it dry completely and then clean the cage again to make sure everything is off.

I also plan to most likely toss and replace the pans once I see them. Of course the ramps will be gone, too. I'm still deciding whether to use fleece liners or tile the cage since my father-in-law does tile floors. :)

Any recommendations or critiques towards fixing up/restoring the cages would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20120403_170816.jpg
    IMG_20120403_170816.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20120403_170828.jpg
    IMG_20120403_170828.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20120403_170840.jpg
    IMG_20120403_170840.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 56
I honestly don't see much rust in the pictures. Could it possibly just be grime? I'd recommend a bleach solution for how dirty these cages are. Perhaps they won't need refinished at all once you get them all cleaned up. I'd scrub them with a scrub brush to get the grime off while being as gentle as possible so you can truly see how much rust they really have. I think a little rust might actually be safer than trying to refinish them... but I don't know much about paints myself. Perhaps post pictures once you have cleaned them up? Then we could give you better opinions. I wonder where they had these cages stored for them to get so rusty. I have had my cage for about five years and it has absolutely no rust on the bars... the pans have a little as chinchilla pee isn't great for metal pans.

I'm not sure where they kept them really. There are 3 cages total - two of the two story and a one story, but I am just going to keep the one story for backup if possible. The worst of the two story they said was kept outside, but I can't seem to figure out where the pictures of that one got off to.

Thank you! I will definitely post more detailed pictures tomorrow after I clean them up before I do anything else then. :)

i know that Krylon paint is safe for use in fish tanks, and fish are pretty sensitive creatures, so it's possible krylon could be used for this purpose if needed? i'd call the manufacturer just to be on the safe side though.

i personally would toss the pans, as they look warped (especially the bottom one). Bass Pans are what many Ferret Nation owners here recommend. http://bassequipment.com/Cages/Ferret+Pans/default.aspx

i know that Krylon paint is safe for use in fish tanks, and fish are pretty sensitive creatures, so it's possible krylon could be used for this purpose if needed? i'd call the manufacturer just to be on the safe side though.

i personally would toss the pans, as they look warped (especially the bottom one). Bass Pans are what many Ferret Nation owners here recommend. http://bassequipment.com/Cages/Ferret+Pans/default.aspx

I did some research several months back, and Krylon was what I was recommended as well. Apart from being fish safe, I've also heard it's bird safe and small animal safe. I haven't personally tried it, but I was told to let it cure at least 7 full days in a well ventilated situation to really make sure the fumes were gone and it was dry before putting any animals in it.

Has anyone ever powder coated their cage? Youd think it would be chin safe as our new silver surfer was powder coated pink. If done right you shouldnt need yo worry about flaking either, biggest draw back is it might cost a bit but id u can pick a left over color that the shoo happenems to be using from another customer at the same time most places will discount the cost a bit

Honestly.... I would wait for better cages or buy new. I hand scrubbed a filthy cage that WASN'T rusted and was sorry I paid as much as I did. Rust = metal deterioration = possible safety issues with attaching ledges, tubes, etc. Unless these things are $25 and you're really really really hurting for money.. In which case, chinchillas were probably the wrong pet to get into.

On the positive side, if you cannot be talked out of filty cages with tenny tiny little bars that all have to be scrubbed super well or risk sick/ dead animals, I would probably powder coat like dmitchell suggested.. Maybe whoever does the powder coat offers sandblasting services as well! Kill two birds with one stone.

I would either rent/borrow/buy a power washer or haul these things straight to a do-it-yourself car wash and power wash them there before bringing them home. That will save you A LOT of time scrubbing and rinsing, and it will get in all the little nooks and crannies, as well as take most of the rust off for you. Basically you'll get the job done in 20 minutes instead of 4 hours.

I can't comment on painting or powder coating, but I imagine powder coating them would be really expensive.

Sorry I hadn't gotten back yet. I did as fanofdmb84 suggested yesterday and blasted one with a power washer, scrubbed it and blasted it again. Everything disappeared for the most part. The only slightly rusted spots left were the bolts on the outside holding the cage together which I'm sure can be replaced. I only paid $40 for the pair of cages, plus ordered the new pans to put in it so I can say it was definitely worth the work. Thanks everyone. My new project for this week is making all the wonderful fleece stuff! The chins are watching all the new cool stuff I've made with big, bright eyes just waiting to move in.

Back