Red Blood Cell Count

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feistychins

The Chinchilla Lady
I have been speaking with someone long distance for a while now trying to help them with a chin that had GI stasis. The chin is doing very well now. They brought the chin to a new vet to have a checkup and she took blood and said the red blood cell count was a little low, but she did not know why. They took the chin in yesterday and the vet said the results were the same, but other than that the chin is doing very well. The vet suggested taking bone marrow to test it.

Personally, I have never heard of this being done for a chin companion and thought it was going overboard and completely unnecessary, especially since the chin is doing so well. The vet did not give much of an explanation as to why or what this would accomplish.

Upon doing research I found that a low RBC count can be from trauma, metobolic disorders, chronic inflammation or vitamin B12 deficiency. Well the chin went through quite a bit with the GI stasis before she got better so frankly all of the above could account for the low count.

Is there any other reason that someone knows of for a low RBC count?

Has anyone heard of a vet taking bone marrow from a chin and if so why?

After living through GI stasis the chin has been through enough, I personally would not subject a recovering stasis chin to that procedure especially if the chin is doing well.

That is what I told them and the caretakers told the vet they were not interested. I was just wondering if anyone else has ever had this experience.

Back