Recommended Chin Vets in Minneapolis Area?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lshaw

Looking for recommendations for an experienced chin vet in the MSP general area…i don’t expect anything is wrong with our chinchilla, just need a preventative exam. Looking for options other than Como Park, thanks! 84B0CBF9-58CB-43DF-83A7-FC2DB583A1AE.jpeg

Anyone? I’m not looking for an online directory, but actual experiences…

Hello, we live by St. Paul! I have had chillas for a long time. We bring ours to Como Park for emergencies, but to Cedar Pet Clinic in Lake Elmo #651-770-3250. It's not really that far and they are great. Dr. Bailie is partially retired, but very knowledgeable. My sister brought their geriatric 29 year old cockatiel there and they were good with Crash too. They treat a big variety of animals and they know that a chinchilla is not a dog... or guinea pig... Ugh. I'm curious why you don't want to go to Como Park? They were quite knowledgeable, but were more expensive due to after hours ER charge. We were able to get Critical care (food supplement for sick chillas) at Como Park if you ever need it. We buy food, sticks hay in the mail because either the one choice of food is expired, full of bugs, or full of unhealthy treats.

Hello, we live by St. Paul! I have had chillas for a long time. We bring ours to Como Park for emergencies, but to Cedar Pet Clinic in Lake Elmo #651-770-3250. It's not really that far and they are great. Dr. Bailie is partially retired, but very knowledgeable. My sister brought their geriatric 29 year old cockatiel there and they were good with Crash too. They treat a big variety of animals and they know that a chinchilla is not a dog... or guinea pig... Ugh. I'm curious why you don't want to go to Como Park? They were quite knowledgeable, but were more expensive due to after hours ER charge. We were able to get Critical care (food supplement for sick chillas) at Como Park if you ever need it. We buy food, sticks hay in the mail because either the one choice of food is expired, full of bugs, or full of unhealthy treats.
Thank you, great to know! As far as Como goes…I have been happy with them for the most part. They saw Lola, our bearded dragon a few times due to her becoming gravid. (Her eggs became stuck in her) They saw Tilly, the chin one time because she MAY have eaten some weed. However, they have a new policy that if you want to make an appointment for a checkup, you have to pay a $50 deposit just to schedule it. For whatever reason (maybe the fact I’ve given that place thousands in the past few years) it really annoys me. I feel like any vet that requires me to pay them money over the phone before they have even seen my animal does NOT have their best interest in mind. That being said, if i had to use them for an emergency i would not hesitate, but also i shouldn’t be putting all my eggs in one basket! As big an area as MSP is, i would like to find the BEST for our Tilly, not the cheapest, and not the most convenient. Thank you so much for your input!

Yes, I saw the deposit and they didn't have appointments for days. I have seen many people ask for money for their pet appointment on nextdoor.com so I wonder if people show up that can't pay. I wonder how many people make appointments made are no-show. Recently I had to make (human) appointments 3 days off at minute clinic Mahtomedhi. They sent 4 reminders and called to confirm twice. I asked and they have so many no-shows it pushes off actual appointments. It's weird that on this site it is mentioned to put money aside and find a reliable vet ahead of an emergency, but that makes total sense. I didn't grow up that way and the vet was always a super struggle for the dog. I sent my sister to Lake Elmo for a bird, but asked her if she had $ to pay. To help her and the vet... Also, we have not been since covid because of constant exposure and have had it 4 times. When we are healthy, it's 80° and no air-conditioning in the car... Soon, Precious loves seeing the other animals. We saw a red chameleon once and we're both amazed.

Back