recommendations of scales for adults and kits?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bondiferous

I was wondering what brand and types you would recommend to use for weighing adults and kits? Also, what is the easiest way to weigh an adult that doesn't like to be handled?

Last week I took in a female (didn't pay for her, handed over) and right after the owners made a sales post in craigslist for males and "possibly preggers" females. That doesn't follow the fib they told me and they won't answer my messages. I'm assuming the worst and preparing for grandma status.

I bought a kitchen scale from walmart that weighs in grams. I use a big cookie jar, I put it on the scale, zero it out and then put the chin in the cookie jar.

Kitchen scales from Target/Walmart work well. If you have an animal that doesn't like to be handled, use a small carrier and zero out the weight then put the chin in. The problem with this is having a display large enough for you to see the scale. I suppose you could even use a box.

Thanks! Sadly, she did birth two kits but killed them. I dont blame her, she has an unstable personality with a history of neglet behind her. It was a little jarring but I guess that's nature.

Scales

I use Pelouze postal scales; they have a 5# capacity and can be switched from pounds and ounces to grams. I place a light weight plastic container on the scales first, then when I turn the scales on it zeroes with the container in place. That way when I place the chin in the container, I don't have to deduct the container weight, the scale reads the actual weight of the chin. They are accurate to within a gram.

Latest posts

Back