Really would like a female but can't find any

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi as you may know already I am getting my first chinchilla soon and I would really like a female. I have looked everywhere and I have found 5 breeders. I have emailed them all. 1 doesn't seem very knowledgeable (the chin is male aswell and she is trying to sell the chin at 7 weeks when we were told by another breeder the leaving age is 12 weeks) one doesnt have any available, one has two females however they need to be kept together (don't have the room for two) and one has two males. The lady with two males sound slovely but I would really love a female as the only thing that is putting me off with males is that I have NEVER had a female pet before and would like one and also the hair ring thing. I know it sounds silly but I'd rather not be touching my chins penis every day. Really unsure on what to do because although the first reason doesnt necessarily bother me the hair ring thing does, is it really as disgusting as it sounds (I am quite squeamish sorry haha)

You only need to do hair ring checks once a month, not daily. :]

I can't help you with the lack of available female chins over there, but I do personally prefer male chins. Females spray pee when angry, or in a bad mood, etc, males can't spray, they try but just dribble, and my personal experience they tend to be moodier. With males you do need to do a hair ring check sometimes, but hair rings are a lot more common in breeding males then in pet ones. I've had chins for almost 20 years and only had one hair ring issue. Males actually tend to take care of that area themselves, so unless you see them paying extensive attention down there (more then a few minutes) and/or it's hanging out (it retracts into a sheath), swollen or turning colors chances are it's fine. It's not preferred but you can also take the male chin to the vet for hair ring checks or to remove hair rings too.

Another option if you really want a female is to decide on the breeder(s) you feel best about, and let them know you are looking for a female, and wait. Depending on the size of the breeder most have at least a couple litters per year.

I've had boys for 8 years and have only done a handful of hair ring checks. I only check if someone is showing symptoms.

Hair rings are something to be aware of but I only check my males if they show signs of a problem. They aren't very common in pets especially if they are an only chin.

Personally, I haven't noticed much of a difference in temperaments. When it comes down to it I usually remind people that with males it is a good idea to check for hair rings periodically and that can make you feel creepy. But on the flip side, females can spray you when they don't want to be messed with.

I would say if the breeder you really like doesn't have the gender that you want, sit and wait for them to have one available. :) You can have extra time to get items that you'd "love" to have for your chin, but may not be able to right away due to expense (or something).

I have never had an issue with a fur ring either and Tribble is 4 years old now. He is pretty good with taking care of that area himself.. lol. I definitely think Tribble is way more friendly than Chichi or Tia (his mom and sister). I am not sure if it's because he's a male or because he is a single chin and relies on me more. The girls are way more skittish but it might be because Chichi was skittish from the get go and Tia took after her. If I had my pick for getting a chin, I would definitely choose male.

I don't know if you've found a chinny already, but my first chinnies were females!
And yes, they did spray pee at each other (territorial things.. ), and once at my mom when she invaded her space too much when she was still adjusting to the new environment.
However, I was never sprayed or shown any type of aggression by my one female, I was always patient around them, and after 3 years of having her, I had the best bond with her. She would hop up on my shoulder, give me kisses, and we had a bunch of tricks we could do together. Anyways, all I'm saying is, I think personally it matters more on the chinny than on the gender.
Some females will spray pee, and some will not as much. It just comes down to the personality of the individual chin in my opinion! And how well the owner respects the chinnies privacy/needs! :)

Latest posts

Back