really made me mad

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinchillalover0927

to many chin chips??
the other day my boyfriend and I went into the local pet store. They always have chinchillas. Well it said baby chinchillas so I looked and didnt see anything, then I noticed a small fur ball in the corner rite under me. They finally seperated and I noticed it was to TINY baby chinchillas. To me they looked no older than 3 weeks old.

They had some pellets and water in a bowl and some hay. I asked the owner if someone sold them they babies or if the mother had died, her response after a pause was" They are old enough"...wich she said very rudely. So i said back to her that there was no way those babies were old enough and that they needed to be hand fed because they were obviously only a few weeks old!!! And I walked off. They were only asking 119.00 a piece instead of there normal 150.00 a piece so i think they were trying to hurry and get rid of them. If i had the money I would have bought them to take care of them, and then re homed them but I was so sick to my stomach and furious!!!!

those poor little babies,i know they are going to die :(

That is awful. One time I was in Petsmart and they had a chin and some pamphlets about care next to the cage so I picked one up to see what it said just because I was curious about it. They said all kinds of bad stuff, like u could use paper bedding, food should be fresh fruits and veggies, and all kinds of bad stuff like that. And at the bottom of the pamphlet it said "certified by Petsmart vets." Pet stores are terrible, even the vets didn't do their research to get it right! No wonder they had the life expectancy listed as 10 years, I'm surprised it wasn't less!

I really hope those 2 babies do ok, that is just so sad.

I see this all the time.. living in Billings, we don't have any legitimate breeders that I know of, just pet store chins. PetSmart has one right now, poor scrap has been there for about a month and a half, was with two others before they got bought. Or died for all I know, makes me sick. Last time I went in, he was eating grapes and apples and was obviously sick, shaking, scared... I wanted to get him out of there but couldn't afford to so instead talked to the Pet Care manager and hoped that she'd listen. He looked pretty young too, but not that young, poor babies.

Back