Real fighting or just playing?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gumby and Elmo

So these 2 little 10 month olds I have now amaze me every single day, they are so full of energy.
I noticed although they are snuggling and enjoying each others company most of the time, there are times when I see what looks like they are fighting.
They would stand on their hind legs and kinda hug each other with their front paws...at least that what it looked like to me, and kinda want to mount each other. But then both of them would popcorn...I would think if they were fighting, they wouldn't popcorn right?
So, do young chins also play fighting like other animals do? Or were they really brewing up a fight?

To me this just seems like a dominance issue and one of the chinchillas is trying to establish dominance over the other chinchilla, especially the humping. As long as there is no blood or major fur slips I would say to let them be. They are just doing naturally what chinchillas do. I had my two chinchillas do this when they were caged together.

My boys have been caged together for over 3 years now, and they still do this on occasion. They are father and son and sometimes the son likes to challenge his dad. It's never gotten to anything more than standing up and making a lot of noise.
If your boys are biting or trying to pee on each other, then that might be aggression. Just watch them closely and separate at any sign of violence.

Yea, I think they are still trying to figure out who's boss, they've only been living together for 4 months. I just didn't know what the popcorning was about.
There has been no fur slips, no blood ofcourse, but sometimes the smaller one, Toffee, would spray Muffin. They are both girls, just tiny amounts, that usually makes Muffin back off. She's the mellow one out of the two.
I will keep stalking them until they work out who is queen.

Dunno if the pics are gonna show, replying from my phone, but if they do.
The mosaic is Muffin and the Brown velvet is Toffee.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1341931616798.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1341931616798.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 32
  • uploadfromtaptalk1341931655559.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1341931655559.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 31
  • uploadfromtaptalk1341931676821.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1341931676821.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 30

Latest posts