Re: weird behaviors

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarencethm

Re: weird behaviors

Hi everyone!

I had my chin for about 3 months now and hes been doing great so far.

I just have a question though, is it weird that the little guy would rather eat his oxbow pellets than hay. He will always finish his pellet then move on to his hay. Being an anxious owner, ill always replenish the pellets when its empty therefore causing him to eat very little hay.

Another thing weird is the guy ****s alot in his cage, its probably like 50 poo a day when i get home. But when its out of the cage to play, he doesnt **** at all. is is suppose to be like that?

Thanks for the help!
clarence

Both things are perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. He will not have any problems because he prefers pellets to hay. Just make sure you always have fresh hay available. He may suddenly decide that he likes hay more. You could also try different kinds of hay. he may like one more than the others.

agreed. both my boys are pellet hogs and will clean out their bowl before they touch hay.

as for not pooping during playtime, that's normal too. for the first while when i had Rhino, he wouldn't poop outside his cage much at all. now with two chins coming out for play at the same time, i have lil brown tic tacs all over the floor after, lol.

You could always try less pellets and make sure he has plenty of hay.. in the long run he will adjust and eat more hay - it's also better for the proper usage of his molars and therefore prevent malocclusion.

How old is he? If he has stopped growing (18 months and above) you can give him pellets on alternative days so 3-4 days a week.

He will, however, beg you and be very cute doing so.. and make you give him pellets. For that, nothing I know of will help you, they are masters at that :p

Please do no t restrict his pellets. That is the wrong thing to do and very bad advice. The pellets contain all of the nutrition a chinchilla needs and the hay is for both wearing down teeth and fiver. IF you limit his pellets, it could do him harm. Many chinchillas live without hay at all without any problems. Just make sure he always has access to fresh hay and chew toys and he will be fine.

Alright thanks for all the replies guys! So, i shouldnt worry about anything. I feel worried because, the hay gets left in the cage for 2 days before being spilt all over. Im not sure if i should put em back or throw them out and if 2 days in the cage with all the dust and things flying around, if the hay was still healthy.

My chins love their hay. But they are picky to. They will eat all they want quickly, but their are some peices they just will not touch. So a far amount does end up being thrown away for me.

I always tell 'my people' put plenty of hay in the hay holder. Anything pulled on the floor the next day get rid of and put more hay in the hay holder. Unfortunately chins are big hay wasters. However they need the hay that they do eat

Back