Re: Hurricane Sandy and C&H members

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6Dusters

Re: Hurricane Sandy and C&H members

Thought I would start a thread about Sandy. I know many of you in the northeast are without power and won't see this for a while. Just respond and let us know that you are okay and if the C&H family here can do anything for you if you need help.

May God bless you and yours with safety.

And please take the time to look at the many "safe" charities to respond to. So many have lost so much and I know this forum has a very generous heart.

I know two charities to donate to off the top of my head that are safe to respond to.
American Red Cross http://www.redcross.org/
Samaritan's Purse ( we have used this one for years )
http://www.samaritanspurse.org/

Yes, very thoughtful! I hope everyone is okay out there! Last night, I went to check on the chins before bed and found my roof was leaking! Yippee! I know a lot of other people are way worse off! I saw there were 16 people dead and around 7 million without power?! Geez!

We live in NH and lost power about 96 percent of my town was in distress I had a generator but there was no gas !!! People got panicky up here and did panic buying so there was not a lot of food we are ok now has anyone else been affected I know NY got hit hard and parts of mass too.

We're in Virginia Beach about 5 minutes from the ocean front. We flooded pretty bad, and lost the gazebo in the backyard, but nothing catastrophic. Have lots of friends in NJ who got hit pretty hard. Been busy checking in with them most of the day.

Glad to hear you both are safe. I hope other members continue to check in when they are able. I'm at a loss for words looking at the images on the tv.

My friend in lower Manhattan checked in yesterday with a short text that she is okay. I'm still worried about her. I know she has no power.

Thought I already posted on this thread but don't see. I live in Central NJ we have been without electricity since 4 PM on Monday. There are poles/trees down everywhere. PSE &G tells us we won't have power until Nov. 5th. We do have 2 generators so we have power for the necessities. However no heat or hot water. We were suppose to be going to Fl. for a big RV rally - leaving yesterday (to celebrate our 25th wedding Anniv.). Obviously that isn't going to happen. Still have to consider myself lucky since my home,etc was not damaged and most important my family and animals are safe

I live in Ohio right on Lake Erie. Still no power but we got it easy compared to you poor folks along the coast. Getting in lots of snuggles and bonding time....syringe feedings by candlelight, very romantic! LOL Thank God for generators keeping my little buddies warm (I was actually more concerned with the 4 birds keeping warm). Just seeing the news at work today and this was just horrid. We got it easy...
Penny

Yea it sucks. However as I said all my family is safe as well as my animals. A LOT of people can't say the same thing. The NJ shore area is horrible - looks like a war zone. The towns of Seaside Heights/Seaside borough are destroyed (boardwalk included). I have gone their many times a year for over 45 years. Still can't believe it

I'm so sorry for anyone who was in the path of the hurricane and I hope you are all doing ok and will continue to be ok as all the clean up work begins and some sort of normalcy is regained.

It's been a terrible couple days. My husband had to go to work and stay over the night of the storm. All management had to stay. (He works for a rehab/nursing facility) I was here alone with the animals and we lost power around 7:30 PM Monday. We finally got power back about 12 hours ago. Other people in our area could be without power for many more days. I have a feeling our neighborhood is restored so quickly because we have a voting spot within walking distance to my house. I live 10 minutes from the beach, but we were lucky. Our home didn't sustain any damage, but this is about 10 minutes from my house in Point Pleasant Beach...

8144052755_0b6b56926b_o.jpg

Glad your safe Daina! Oh it's just horrible up there. I know it will take a long time, but it will be rebuilt. Hang in there.

Barb ( and anyone else who wants portable heat ) I am going to place a link to a little heater. It's an oil space heater. We have a similar one here at the house we keep in the living room to keep off the chill. It's electric of course and would only help if you had a generator. Without a generator you need kerosene.

We also have a kerosene heater in the garage. Our heat pump died in the middle of winter several years ago and no one could come and fix it until Monday. I don't know how many BTU's it puts out, I just know it heated the entire house. Downstairs was very comfortable. Upstairs you could sleep well and it was a bit cool.

Something to think about for future use. This is a link to show the portable oil heater.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FT1XZW...e=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B000FT1XZW

Fortunately our friends were all fine, some in NJ reported damage around them, but their homes and pets all ok.
For those without power, is there a shelter nearby that the birds can go to to stay warm? Wishing you all the best.

The spirit of everybody to rebuild is inspiring. I've been closely following a town about an hour and a half south of us in Cape May County called Avalon. It's on a 7 mile strip of island and I know they were hit pretty hard. They were posting pictures of the flooding that started well before the storm hit. When I was growing up, my grandparents had a house there, and I spent many, many summers there. It broke my heart to see all the destruction, but the people there are already repairing homes and businesses are already opening back up. Theyre determined to get back to normalcy, and that's echoed all over the state. No one is saying they're running away from the shore, packing it in and moving away or anything. There are people standing in front of their destroyed homes with determination in their eyes. I know our shoreline will rebuild. And when they do, I promise to stop taking it for granted that I'm lucky enough to live here.

I feel so hopeless with all of this. I have watched my childhood wash away on the news and on facebook in the matter of days. The beaches I learned to surf at now barely have any houses. Obviously a beach area sees flooding especially during storms, but to see nearly every board walk at on the shore in such states of disaster is gut wrenching. I am thankful my family and friends are all safe, but it still sucks to witness. I am thankful most took the evacuations seriously.

We just got power.back this afternoon. Our place of business is still without. We are lucky with no damage to the house or property.
My parents are still without power, at least they have a generator

Fortunately our friends were all fine, some in NJ reported damage around them, but their homes and pets all ok.
For those without power, is there a shelter nearby that the birds can go to to stay warm? Wishing you all the best.

Call a vet clinic in the area to see if they have power. Many times they will help out and keep an animal or perhaps they would know a place for the birds.

i am inland from the shore but our county got hit pretty good. our neighborhood was without power from monday night to thursday night. and we just got our phones, tv, & internet back on saturday night) had trees and wires down, a couple houses had trees fall on them and its still not 100% today is the first day kids went to school, they were closed all last week. we had a generator and my chins LOVED how cold it was in our basement! i had to clear away their play area in the event we got water and tonight will be the first night i put it back, they are very rammy and anxious to get out of their cages. there were a few nights i did their cages by candlelight! but i feel blessed. i know of too many people who lost everything. some lost the entire contents of their home and some lost their entire homes. i have been doing what i can to donate my time and money to local shelters but i want to do more! it is heartbreaking seeing the pictures, which i didnt really see until saturday and knowing people and animals are suffering and dying. :(

Back