Rat First Aid-possible emergency

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammie

My boyfriend is in Australia and I have his 4 female rats. One took a chunk out of Molly's scalp. There's a square half centimeter (just under half a centimeter, really) missing from in front of her ear and I'm pretty sure I'm looking at skull. She doesn't seem upset about it and it's not bleeding. I've cleaned it, put antibiotic ointment on it and put her in an old critter containment so that Rory can't get to her anymore. Should I be taking her to a vet for this? Should I contain the mean rat instead? I'm totally panicked and can't get ahold of Kelvin. He's always going on and on about how rats fight and it's just what they do so I don't know if I should be taking her to the urgent clinic or a vet tomorrow or not. Please someone help me!

I just got off the phone with the on call vet. She said everything I've done is fine to get her through the night and I'm taking her in tomorrow. Thanks anyway! This thread can be closed.

Oh, good. Glad you'll be taking her in tomorrow, poor thing! But yes, keeping her isolated right now is probably best. Any idea what prompted the bite?

Rory's just a *****, to be quite frank. I isolated her, too. She fights like any rat but she's more relentless than any other rat. She's probably worse because they're living in a new cage (albeit bigger) in my apartment and their daddy is gone. I've noticed her getting more aggressive lately. When Molly heels, I may have to just put the cage back to normal and keep Rory out of there for a while. We'll see what the vet says tomorrow. Thanks for the concern guys!!

Latest posts

Back