Rancher's Choice feed

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cinder and Me

~Scuba Chick~
I'm in Southern California and have been feeding Rancher's Choice to my girl for the past 6+ years and love it. I recently moved quite a ways from the breeder that I buy her food from and want to know if anyone out here (near Magic Mountain) knows where I can find Rancher's Choice, or a feed just as good in quality. If I'm remembering correctly, I get 20lbs for $20.

Rancher's Choice

Ingredients
Sun cured Alfalfa Meal, Dried Beet Pulp, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Rice Bran, Whole Pressed Safflower Seed Meal, Ground Lima Beans, Ground Wheat, Vegetable Oil, Calcium Carbonate, Monocalcium & Dicalcium Phosphate, Yeast Culture (Diamond V “XP”, Salt, Vitamin E Supplement, Calcium Lignosulphonate, Zinc Methionine, Manganese Methionine, Copper Lysine, Cobalt Glucoheptonate, d.l Methionine, Heat stable cultures of Lactobacillus Acidophilus, L. Casei, Bifidobacterium Bifidium, Streptococcus Faeclum and Aspergillus Oryzae (“Primalac”), Mold Inhibitor (Propionic Acid, Acetic Acid, Sorbic Acid, Benzoic Acid, Ammonium Hydroxide), Flavoring, Chromium Tripicolinate, L - Ascorbic Acid Phosphate (Stabilized Vitamin C), Vitamin A Supplement, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Ethoxyquin (a vitamin preservative), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Menadione Sodium Bisulfile (Source of Vitamin K), Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Choline Chloride, Niacin Supplement, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, D - Biotin, Vitamin B - 12 Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Ethylene Diamine Dihydrolodide, Sodium Selenite.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein, not less than.............................18.0%
Crude Fat, not less than.....................................3.0%
Crude Fiber, not less than................................14.0%
Crude Fibre, not more than..............................18.0%
Calcium, not less than.......................................0.9%
Calcium, not more than.....................................1.3%
Phosphorus, not less than..................................0.5%
Sodium, not more than......................................0.5%
Vitamin C, not less than..............................60 mg/lb

Ummm....isn't ranchers choice the feed that killed hundreds of chins out west when it first hit the market? I haven't heard the name since then and honestly had no clue they were still making it.

It looks like they have redone the formula, maybe...They are touting it as the new pellet formula...

But as for finding somewhere that sells it, I am at a loss, as I feed mine Oxbow Chinchilla Deluxe..

Last edited:
Manna Pro Sho,Kent top show professional are both excellent feeds.Also Tunes did a breakdown of different feeds.

Hmmm, the breeder I got my girl from, and the breeder that I've been dealing with for the past 6 years all feed Rancher's Choice. I had no idea about the problems! Whoa!

What do the other good quality feeds run? As I posted before, I think the one I get is $1/lb. Thanks again for the help/advice!!

Back