Raisins or no?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My chins hardly get any treats and I would never give them raisins. Chins do not process sugar well due to the way their digestive system works. They eat a high fiber, low sugar diet. They have bacteria in their gut that helps digesting their food. When sugar is introduced, it can cause the bacteria to overgrow. A product of the bacteria is gas, so where there is too much, they can bloat. Bloat can be deadly and a bear to treat. I don't think there's any sense in giving questionable possibly unhealthy treats when there are safer options available.

Personally my chins think apple twigs are a treat. On the rare occasion I give them rose hips or old fashioned oats, but that's it. After having a chin bloat from half a goji berry, I don't risk it anymore.

I agree with Stacie. If you need to give them a treat, there other safer types of treats for them.

I know I'm going against the flow but I will occasionally give my chin a raisin. When I say occasionally, I mean, I may give her half of one once a week because she does love them. Now, for regular treats, I will usually give her some oats or some rose petals. She loves both and they don't contain the sugar of raisins. I don't think they're that harmful as long you only give them out sparingly.

Chins should only receive one or 2 treats a week. That means 1 or 2 not 1 or 2 of each. Daily treats fill their tiny tummies and cause them to eat less of the nutritious food that they need.

I agree with cuddle bug. People tend to over due the treat thing. They don't NEED them daily or at all actually. My treats for my chins is a different type of hay or hay cubes, twigs and every other week or so when I weigh them they get a cherrio.

No raisins, my chins get shredded wheat or hay cookies maybe once week. They get more excited for poplar, birch, maple or fir scraps they get from my husbands shop
:chin:

Mine never get raisin or any kind of fruit. They did in the past though, when I first had chins and was told by the pet store and a chin breeder that raisins are good, in moderation. There are plenty of safe options that are just as easy to get and are just as cheap or cheaper though so I figure why bother giving them something that is, or could be, unsafe.

iheartchins, just so you know maple is on the NOT chin safe wood list.

Mine never get raisin or any kind of fruit. They did in the past though, when I first had chins and was told by the pet store and a chin breeder that raisins are good, in moderation. There are plenty of safe options that are just as easy to get and are just as cheap or cheaper though so I figure why bother giving them something that is, or could be, unsafe.

I was told that TONS of treats that are bad are safe I have since then been told what are ok and i have switched to chin safe treats ONLY. Shredded wheat, cheerio, apple sticks and rose hips.

Sometimes I will give my chin a small raisin just because she loves them.When I say sometimes I mean like every week or so,most of the time she gets dandelion drops.

Back