Raisins....effecting poo? or could it be worse....

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She can't wait until tomorrow. Take that chin to a vet NOW. If you can't get an appointment with a chin knowledgable vet, call an emergency vet clinic. She cannot wait any longer.

Pull all pellets as tunes suggested. Feed her only fresh timothy hay and you can give her a few UNFROSTED shredded wheats. NO RAISINS, CRAISINS OR ANY OTHER FRUIT. NOTHING BUT FRESH HAY AND SHREDDED WHEAT.

And get her to the vet. If you don't you may not have to worry about what to do with her for long.

Edited to add: The fact that she's eating and drinking is a good sign, but does not mean that she doesn't need to see a vet. Chins are very good at hiding illness. Do not wait, or you may be very sorry.

Also you need to cut out these trips with the chin. It isn't a chihuahua that you keep in your purse all day and can carry around with you. Chinchillas have no reason to be at school or out of their cage during the day. It's stressful, and they can easily overheat.

It's time to step up and take responsibility for your chinchilla's health. Get it to the vet and get it checked out. You need to have the number of both a regular vet that sees chinchillas for check ups and the name and number of a vet that handles chinchilla emergencies.

You also need to start taking the advice people are giving to you on this site. No raisins or craizins means NO RAISINS OR CRAIZINS. Especially when your chinchilla is already having a problem with their digestive track.

I don't want to be the mean one on here, but I think it needs to be said. Remember I am saying this out of care for the chinchilla and have it's best interests in mind. A chinchilla is a big responsibility and deserves proper care. I know you love your chinchilla very much but they are not little purse dogs or toys that can be mishandled. If you don't feel you have the time or are capable of providing a safe and healthy environment for your chin, I would consider finding a local chin rescue shelter in your area. Coming to these forums and starting to learn is a huge step and I applaud you for doing that, but the advice given here is worthless if you don't follow it.

So again, no pellets, no raisins, no craizins, no car trips to school (keep the chinchilla at home) only hay and water and take the chin to the vet ASAP!

Im not moving her anymore then i have to, i do how ever need to move her back home in probably about a week. Im chekcing with the local vets to see if i can get an appointment. I HAVE NOT FEED HER A RAISIN/CRAISIN in almost 72 hours [when i first noticed the problem] when i brought her to school i did not intend on moving her, i intended on having her in her cage in my room and not moving her back home until the end of april.

I get out of class today at 4 and then hopefully bringing her to a vet. again im in Potsdam NY [basically the middle of no where] and broke. I understand that its a greta responsibility and thats why ive been keeping up with this site and making sure im doing things right.

thanks again for all your help ill let you know how shes doing soon.

Did you also pull the pellets and provide only hay? That sometimes can help settle the gut down, along with the acidophilus which you can usually get even at a large grocery store.

Make sure they do a stool sample. You said the stool is shiny - does that mean wet looking or does it look slimy (sorry, for those with weak stomachs)? If it has mucous on it, that is a definite issue that needs handled ASAP.

it means it looks wet, and no i have not pulled pellets but she hasnt been eating them much anyways, she has eaten tons and tons of hay...ill look at the local walmart for the meds. thanks again!!

Back