Raising a baby

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aridan

I have a couple of questions for all the knowledgable forum people out there. Since we'll be having a young chin joining our family, less than three months, I'd welcome your opinions on things that we may want to get her used to. I would anticipate conditioning them to certain things while they are young may make things easier on everyone in the long run. Let me know if I'm mistaken in this thought.

For instance, would it best for us to be persistent in handling every day, and getting her used to being held and carried as needed? Is this easier for them to accept when they are younger? Same question on being grasped by the base of the tail and the occasional grooming if needed.

Anyone have any other thoughts on things that would be best to introduce them to early in life? I am hoping to give her a great life, and make it as easy as possible for her to accept some of the things that tend to be stressful but necessary for them.

Thanks!

I got my chin when he was 2 months old. I wouldn't recommend you holding it or trying to catch it everyday. Chinchillas don't like to be held anyways. You should make sure the chinchilla gets to know you and isn't scared of you. Put your hand out in the cage, and make sure it knows you're the one feeding him (like feeding/treat time) I remember holding my chin for the first time and he was shaking so hard and he didn't even move (he was that scared) and he made all kind of noises. For the first week, just make sure it is doing ok in its new environment and you could talk to it and don't ever pet or try to hold it from its back. They are super scared and will run away. I remember it took forever to catch him in his cage. Always pet it underneath and dont try to grab it from the top.

Yes, I definitely meant for these questions to pertain to after allowing the little one to acclimate to new surroundings, however long that takes. I have no interest in terrorizing her, but I do want her to be used to frequent handling.

I have no problems with catching my chin but he still does not like to be caught or held. He will nibble (very gently) to be put down. He makes sure to let me know that he wants to be on the ground. Some chinchillas will bite and don't like to be handled though mine has never bit me for 6 years ever. It depends on the chinchilla's personality. I think having a young chin from the start is the easiest in taming it from my own experience. Try giving it treats and petting it on its side and let it get to know you during play time. Don't be alarmed if your chin makes noises or sheds fur when you try and catching it because they will try and run away. Sometimes I do want to hold my chin like my dog everyday but he doesn't like to be caught. I can still catch him easily, but he will would much rather be petted on his head, and given scratches and kisses than held.

I have a couple of questions for all the knowledgable forum people out there. Since we'll be having a young chin joining our family, less than three months, I'd welcome your opinions on things that we may want to get her used to. I would anticipate conditioning them to certain things while they are young may make things easier on everyone in the long run. Let me know if I'm mistaken in this thought.

For instance, would it best for us to be persistent in handling every day, and getting her used to being held and carried as needed? Is this easier for them to accept when they are younger? Same question on being grasped by the base of the tail and the occasional grooming if needed.

Anyone have any other thoughts on things that would be best to introduce them to early in life? I am hoping to give her a great life, and make it as easy as possible for her to accept some of the things that tend to be stressful but necessary for them.

Thanks!

From my experience after the first few days of getting your new baby at home and letting him get used to it's new surroundings, I believe that you should handle them often for just a few minutes at a time until you can establish that bond/trust. I have 11 chins right now and at least 6 of them came to me at 8 weeks old. Please feel free to scroll through this thread when I picked up my, I mean my daughter's 2 baby boy's ;)) Cupcake and Donut: http://chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29436&page=2
Towards the middle of the thread I show how we begin bonding with the babies. I take them into a bathroom (chin-proofed) and both my daughter and I sit on the floor so that they are free to come to us when they want. Now I don't give any of my babies (under 6 months old) too much playtime, this is only for a few minutes to get that bond going.

I've owned 15 chinchillas in the last 8 1/2 years and I've only been bitten once. Both of my daughter's have never been bitten. Twilight, the chin that bit me, was only here a few days when it happened and "I" learned how to hold/handle him since then and he's never bitten me again. Most of my boys let me hold them for quite some time. I also have 2 mega snugglers that will just nuzzle in my neck and I could walk around with them or lay on the couch without them wanting to get away.

I use a small shop vac around the area where all of my chins are. At first when I would get a new baby, they would go into a bedroom for quarantine from my other boys also they would not get startled by the loud noise of the vac. They could hear it but not be too close to the noise. Eventually, they got used to the noise(s) around the house.

I would also establish a routine with them, same time every day when I would add more food to their food bowls as well as giving them a wood chew stick or hay. For babies under 6 months I do not give them any food treats. They only get fresh water, pellets and hay. I do give them unlimited wood sticks and hanging chew toys.

I'm sure when you pick up your new baby everything will start to come in place. Glad you are here though and asking questions/opinions.

Last edited:
Hi Sandi,

Thanks so much for the thoughtful response. I appreciate you sharing your experience. I like how you mentioned they are your daughters' boys...our new baby is supposed to be mainly for my son and daughter, but I have very much been caught up in the excitement and fallen in love with these little animals from afar. I know not to expect cuddly, part of the fun will be finding out what kind of personality she has!

Back