Raider's Eye

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CritterLover86

So, about a week ago I noticed the fur around Raider's eye had been a little wet, but when the fur dried and looked normal I figured he must have just gotten something in his eye and it flushed out by itself.(As this was noticed shortly after he had dusted) Last night I noticed the fur was wet again. There was no visible irritant in the eye, and it wasn't actively weeping, just the fur around his eye looked damp. I figured since it happened again, I should get him looked at, to be safe.

He has been eating hay and pellets just fine, no crumbling of the pellets, he chews on his sticks and is pooping a normal amount (the poops on the top half of the cage seemed a little small, but there were lots of them. I gently rubbed along his cheeks, and I don't feel anything abnormal, and he did not protest at all (and Raider will let me know if I'm doing anything that bothers him, he's a nipper when it comes to stuff like that, like the couple times I've brushed him and he's mauled the comb). He's not swiping at his mouth, or drooling... So that being said, I'm hopeful that it's nothing with his mouth...I'm paranoid about watery eyes= root elongation /malo. But I'm hoping that since he shows no other symptoms at all, that what we're dealing with is either infection, or debris that can just be flushed.

I called the exotics vet just about 30 minutes ago, explained what was going on and the receptionist is figuring it is just the eye too (I hope so!) Still, poor Raider. I was able to ask my mom to carefully grab Raider (properly) and bring him to the home I work at. The vet is only 11 minutes from here, and they were able to squeeze me in right after work! This is the same vet I had taken Speedy to last year, and I was very pleased. They are specifically an exotics vet, and Dr. Ness was gentle, and very thorough. I'm glad I've finally found a vet I feel comfortable with who is not too far of a drive.

So we'll see how it goes, fingers crossed that this is an easy thing to treat and that Raider will feel better soon!

I will keep Raider in my thoughts Ellen and hope that its just something minor. I've had experience with it twice and the only advice I can offer is that you get xrays done in the first visit unless the vet can definitely diagnose an eye issue only.

We're home! Poor lil Raider had some light, blunt corneal abrasions, which we now have drops for (Ciprofloxacin, 3 times a day, for 7-10 days) I also decided to have skull radiographs done, when I mentioned that Raider is related to a chin who had root elongation, he felt it would be a good idea to get a better look at everything. He said if he had genetic root elongation or malo, it would show on the x-rays by now (with him being almost 4 years old now) even if he wasn't drooling, pawing, etc.

It was so worth the cost! His x-rays were excellent! So he said we can basically rule out him having genetic teeth problems! I have been worried for years, ever since I heard of the one chin in his lines having dental issues. Now I won't be worrying in the back of my mind all the time, wondering if he has something going on and isn't showing signs of it.

Poor little Raider is a smidge groggy/ worn out from his appointment, but is doing well, I'll do his drops shortly, but for now he's settling in with a chin cookie and getting some down time. He was such a good little patient!

PS- Sandi, thank you so much for the advice, it was part of what pushed me to do the xrays done at this visit, and having them done has given me so much peace of mind! After reading so many sad stories about malo, and elongation.. and we just had to put one of our sweet cockatiels to sleep on Monday... I was so worried that Raider was going to have issues, and that his time here would be dramatically shortened.. I feel so terrible for everyone who has had to deal with teeth issues, like you have, just breaks my heart.

Latest posts

Back