Rabies shots?!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErinsChins

So i'm a little peed off right now. I saw an add on craigslist last night for two chinchillas. A male and a female. The person that owns them is completely incompetent and claims to have gotten their "shots". So im like wth. I asked nicely what shots and she's like rabies.

Really?

So I want to get the chins, but she's asking $400 for them and that's a bit much. Here's a copy of the ad. The woman has no idea how to care for chinchillas. She has them in a ferret cage with plastic tubing/tunnels. If she would go down to $200 I might consider it.

i have a male and a female chinchilla.one is a white mosaic/ebony in color and the other is a tan with a touch of velvet.the male is 7 months old and the female is 1 year old.
both have been well cared for all their lives and are friendly and can be held.their colorings are rare and thay DID NOT come from a pet store.thay came from a breeder in ohio.
they have never been seperated and i would like to keep it that way as chinchillas do better in pairs.but it is not a must. the male is not yet of breeding age but will be in the near future,there is a rehoming fee,and for all your getting it is well worth it,i paid 160 each for just my chins.
here is what you will be getting with them
-glass surerpet brand water bottle with holders
-plastic oasis brand water bottle
-glass food dish
-plastic food dish that attaches to side of cage
-wooden ledge that attaches to the side of the cage
-2 chewing rocks
-1 igloo hideaway house
-1 dustbath container for them to bathe in
-1 saucer wheel
-2 new containers of dust bath powder
-brand new bag of food
-timothy hay
-alfalfa squares
can text pics
if you are interested in them and can give them a loving home you can TEXT ONLY
555 555 5555 or email me but text will get fastest response
i will also concider trades just let me know what you have

Sorry to double post, but I also learned they're on cedar bedding. :/ Any advice? Im asking right now if she'd sale without the cage. I also contacted the breeder. You never now what someones sales policy may be.

I'd just kindly direct her to this site, and inform her that cedar is toxic. Can't hurt to throw a link or two in there showing websites that state the toxicity of cedar. Some poeple are so ignorant, and I don't believe for a second they had shots!

Twilight, I will.
BUT I NEED TO VENT. You guys dont have to read it, but I need to post it somewhere.

She claimed to get her chinchillas from Che Chinchillas. LOL She didn't. One came from JAGS, but she didn't purchase it. Remember THIS little girl? Yes, well she bought her from my friend (unfortunately, I had nothing to do with this and never met the girl, who is apparently 16 and living with he "hubby" lmao). Oh, what is that, a verbal no breeding agreement? Yes, yes it is. How much did you pay? $100, oh, and you want $400? Because apparently this stunning rat faced male is worth $300. Oh, wait, maybe that piece of crap cage is $100, no couldn't be! I bet it's that cedar bedding you're using.

Juli was my first customer, ever. She bought one chin from me and then I later gave her another. She bought Pepper from JAGS. After Kana and Ponyo died, she just couldn't stand it anymore. She wanted to find Pepper a good home. Keyword good. Anyone can lie and say that they will take good care, but how do we really know? A home search? Everybody has friends..

I just..am so upset right now. I am trying to get Pepper for her, she is crying so hard. Pepper shouldn't be in breeding, she is very small. This is upsetting. She wants $300 for both and the cage. They are willing to pay $200, but i'll just be honest here, my funds have been hit pretty hard by a few things. Two cases of (Severe) malo in rescues and the baby with the abscess. I just can't do it right now..and im heartbroken for Juli and Pepper :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Erin, I understand you are upset but please watch your language. This is a family friendly forum and cursing is not tolerated.

Erin, I'm glad you're able to help these two. Have you talked to your vet about the fact that you're taking in rescues? My vet charges me reduced fees for my rescued chins. She usually waives her office fees and I only have to pay for what it actually costs her. Of course, with my own chins I pay the regular fees, but she trusts me to be honest about which is which. If you haven't already done so, you should talk to your vet to see if they are willing to do a similar arrangement.

Hi Erin,
I sent her an email to contact me because I didn't think they were from me and now I know why she didn't get back to me! Thanks for giving me the heads up on this.

wow, I hate when people want to make $$$ and go under the disguise of "wanting to find the chin a good home". I know that people need to charge something, but $400 is a bit extreme. Male and female kept together? Male not of breeding age? Hmph. You could possibly be dealing with a pregnant chinchilla here...

Good luck with everything Erin. These are lucky you found them, but you can't help everybody! Don't put yourself in a bind to rescue a chin!

Rather than the owner being picked on for the shots, the vet who gave the shots should be the one who it thrashed. I guess I don't see much of a problem with the ad, other than the male and female and the price.

Rather than the owner being picked on for the shots, the vet who gave the shots should be the one who it thrashed. I guess I don't see much of a problem with the ad, other than the male and female and the price.

Well, they obviously never had shots. They are both with me now. The female will be going back with her owner and I will be keeping the male temporarily. Cheryl, he may very well be yours. He is 7 months old and a white ebony. He is very pretty, the pictures did not do him justice.

I am sad though, because after Josh and I met her, Juli sent her a message telling her that she got her chin back (not in a mean way, just, you know, she was mad) and the girl said back ,"It's okay hun i got money"
:(
I did this for my friend. It doesn't matter. All that matters is that the chins are in good care now. They reeked of smoke and urine. The male had a ring so..idk..means nothing really but she will be watching her regardless.

Never mind, not worth asking any more questions.
I don't know what you said, but if something I've done offended you, then I'd rather you say it.

I didn't mean to be rude about the shots, but since I know where (sort of) the chins came from, I know that she is lying. She has done nothing but lie. But yes, had a vet given the rabies shots, I would've been angry with said vet.

I don't really agree with how things happened, but she wanted her pet back and she needed my help. I didn't pay anything, and she did NOT get $400.

Back