Rabbit Pellet

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toxxxic.kitten

I was wondering if anybody could recommend good brands of rabbit pellet? I currently have my bunny on NutriPhase, which is probably really bad for him. And since the bag is almost empty...I want to start him on something much better for him.

My guys were on Oxbow but I switched them to PRSC with the chins. They're doing great on it! Momiji actually jumps up and gets in your way of getting the food bowl cuz he's on top of it. I've had to switch their food twice before and they fought me on it, including going to Oxbow. But Dunkin picked out the PRSC instead of eating it all so I had to just do him a full switch instead of gradual. Momiji's doing great on the full mix.

Purina or Manna Pro would be fine. When we were raising rabbits I tried Kent and it molded fast. I did not like how some of the rabbits conditioned out on Manna Pro but if you are not worried about showing or breeding Manna Pro is a great pellet. The most recent pellet we tried was Buckeye but you might not be able to find this locally. This was the only brand one of the local feed mills had so don't know much about the availability. Also, I really like the formulation of Pen Pals and have heard good things about in relation to rabbits but don't have an first hand experience. I could not get it locally so have never tried it.

Good rabbit feed brands include:

Purina (If you're not showing or breeding, the Purina Rabbit Chow Complete in the green bag is what I'd recommend. The Show formula has high fat content that is not necessary for pet-only rabbits.)
Manna Pro (I'd go with the regular Pro or possibly Sho if your rabbit is a pet)
Nutrena Naturewise
Heinold (I think the Show formula is actually their best, even for pets)
Oxbow
Pen Pals

Last edited:
Many of the above brands that the other posters and I have mentioned can't typically be found in pet stores (at least not in the chain stores like PetCo or Petsmart). You might have to try a farm supply store such as TSC, or your local feed/grain Co-Op.

Check out the websites for each of those feeds that you are interested in; most of them have Dealer Locators where you can type in your town or zip code and the site will show you a list of dealers which sell that feed in your area.

Last edited:
I don't go to the chain pet stores, often. I usually go to a place called Feeder's Supply (it's a local pet store chain, I believe) or I hit up Tractor's Supply. It looks like...by the links you provided...that my local Tractor's Supply carries Manna Pro and/or Nutrena. Of those two...which one would be considered better?

It depends. Some people swear by Manna Pro and others would take Nutrena any day. But really, both are good feeds and either would be fine. If you just can't decide, maybe check the labels and see if there's a Mill Date (the date that the feed was made) and take whichever one is more fresh.

I need to pick something else up at Tractor's Supply, so I will see which bag is cheaper and/or more fresh and hope that my bunny will like it!

Back