Rabbit liners?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamiJami

I have liners for my chinchilla cages, so I was wondering could I do a liner in a rabbit cage? I've got two rabbits, one digs and the other doesn't. Both are litter trained so I figured I'd put one in Dunkin's (the non-digger). Is this safe?

I am new to this forum as we just got 2 Chins. I usually don't reply to most threads as I am just learning. However I might be able to help with your rabbit question. I have raised rabbits for years and I personally would not use liners in their cage even with a litter pan. Rabbit urine as quite a strong smell and I think pine shavings would help mask this smell. You might find that the cage gets smeller when using fleece. Also, rabbits drink and urinate more then Chins and this might lead to really nasty fleece liners and also the need to perhaps wash daily. Rabbits like Chins chew also and I am not sure what they will do with fleece plus the have toenails that the use for digging and the liner might be dug up.

You brought up the two reasons I'm thinking about getting one for Dunkin'. He doesn't dig and he doesn't pee/poo outside of his litter pan.

I guess I'll just go buy a small piece of fleece and put it in his cage to see how he reacts before making my final decision.

My house rabbit has a fleece bed that he sleeps on in his cage. He loves it :)

I know a lot of bunny people, most of them have their cages or pens lined with carpet or fleece and their bunnies potty in a litter box.

Dunkin can't do carpet, he enjoys chewing that if he thinks he can get away with it. Do you think I'd need a 3 layered liner even though he always uses his litter pan? I could hand sew 2 layers, but I refuse to deal with the pain of 3 layers.

Back