R.I.P Timo. August 30, 2009.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bianca

unfortunately, my chinchilla Timo passed away yesturday morning. :( this picture shows him and his brother, bounce when they were cuddling with eachother.
they loved sharing a cage and i hope that bounce gets used to being alone in the cage. :(

Attachments

• n503008298_541781_9738.jpg
    n503008298_541781_9738.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 63
thank you everyone. :( the thing that makes this so much worse is that his brother is upset about it too. its so difficult to see them suffer. i hope Bounce gets happy soon.

yeah. i talked to my parents about that. they dont want me to get another one :( i guess its just because they saw how i upset i was, and they dont want me to have to go through it.
but i think a buddy for him would be best, since he is all alone in his cage now and seems lonely :(

when i said cuddle buddy, i meant a stuffed toy.......not another chinchilla. some people online here make them or you can buy one at the pet store, but try to find one that doesnt have any attachments, like google eyes.

oh, haha. thank you.
and okay. i heard fleece is okay? but wont he eat it or chew at it?

sorry..im just paranoid as to what goes in his system now because i want him to live up to his life span(he's 2). my chinchilla that passed yesterday was only 2 as well. :(

a lot of us use the fleece liners in our cages and our chins dont eat it.

with the cuddle buddy, just watch for any loose threads or any holes.
often with the male chinchillas they tend to have a very close relationship with their cuddle buddy.

2 is way too early to lose a chin. if his brother died of gi stasis or bloat, you really need to watch your existing chin and be sure he is eating a healthy diet of good quality pellets and fresh hay, apple sticks or some type of wood chews and filtered water. and make sure he is only getting the good treats, no raisins or peanuts or stuff like that.

Last edited:
thank you for your help.
yeah im going to the pet store tomorrow to get new foods, because im changing his diet since he's an adult now.
also, i am going to get him a bunch of chew toys and other fun stuff for him so that he can get happier and excited because it is evident that he is upset right now.

try & get a good quality pellet, like mazuri or oxbow. that is what you will find at most pet stores. for the chew toys, stick with chin safe wood, lava bites, or that loofah stuff.
i am not sure how old you are since you said you had to have your mom take you but honestly you would get much better deals on products on here for food & chew toys.

i did notice that you live in canada, so i am not sure what is available to you.

Maybe buy a degu,i here they are related,plus they eat mazuri,and just use guinie pig blocks so the chin wont touch em,i read this online

I am so incredibly sorry you lost Timo. The picture of him and his brother together is too cute and I'm sorry his brother is at a loss without him. It is tough on you both. Timo is at peace now and watching over both of you.

i am not sure how old you are since you said you had to have your mom take you but honestly you would get much better deals on products on here for food & chew toys.

i did notice that you live in canada, so i am not sure what is available to you.

thank you everyone.
and yeah, im 17 years old. but i have educated myself about these wonderful animals and i hope i am a good owner! haha. i mean, sometimes it's hard to spend time with him but im making an effort for everyday playtime. so far, so good.

and yea.. i bought oxbow pellets and i am mixing them with a mixed pellet bag. he is also eating timothy hay. and im also looking into getting another chinchilla so that he has a buddy. i have noticed he is upset and i worry about him so much at night, but he seems to be happy during and after playtime. i think we have bonded a little through the past few days.

thank you so much for your concern everyone. here's to happy and healthy chinchillas!:)

Back