Quilling and repetitive behaviour

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orochirel

Hi =) My Hedgie's name is Sam. He was born the 2 of July. Well, I notice he was itchy some weeks ago, but now I notice the itchy is still there but less than the other time. I have found his little quills over the floor and at his cage, How do I Know when He have stop quilling?

another thing, when I take him out his cage to play and do exercise, he runs all over the place to the same spot all the time... a little corner below the furniture where we have the glasses and alcohol. He smells the place and stay there. And he goes to the other ones, and in one of them, there are magazines, and he bites them... I dont allow him to do that, but im not sure if that is ok or not... oh, and today I saw him putting drool at his back with his tongue... I think is normal... no?

Well, sorry for the long thread, I have like 3 weeks with Sam I want him to be happy

100_1305.jpg

Here he is, scratching his back hehe. Oh and thats the spot I was talking about, he always go there when I take him out, but like runing! Is really cute seen him

100_1302.jpg

Sam ~ :bump1:

He is very likely quilling. They generally go through this a few times as they grow. A warm bath (only deep enough so he can still stand with his head out of the water easily)with oatmeal (you can put some into a stocking so that the water becomes milky but does not have pieces of oatmeal in it) will soothe his back and perhaps reduce itching.

In terms of the drooling, hedgehogs like to find strong scents of which they lick/bite/chew at. They then foam at the mouth and lather the scent onto themselves. This is called annointing. It is perfectly normal behaviour, just be careful about what they are trying to annoint on. You don't want to expose them to anything toxic or dangerous.

April

And what about that thing... when I put it on the ground, he runs to the same spot all the time... all the time he goes there... to that spot...

and sometimes he finds another spot near that one I said, but there are magazines there, and he bites them... I dont let him bite them, cause Im afraid he will hurt his mouth or something...

100_1310.jpg

There's likely a smell he is interested in over there (perfume in a magazine perhaps). If you don't want him to go there, block the area off. He'll find other things to be interested in.

Back