Quiet Wheel

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NiftyKat

Crazy Cat & Rodent Lady!
Hello all! Well, my cage is coming together quite nicely! I have the cage at home and all put together, and I have an order for fleece, furniture, toys, and treats all put in. It's getting handled slowly but surely, and I'm loving every minute of it!

After I get the chins it'll be a few months before I can put a wheel in their cage, but I just wanted to know everyone's opinion on which excercise wheel is the quietest. I know it will never be completely silent, but I would like to choose the most quiet one I can.

Your opinions and knowledge are greatly appreciated! :)

Hello all! Well, my cage is coming together quite nicely! I have the cage at home and all put together, and I have an order for fleece, furniture, toys, and treats all put in. It's getting handled slowly but surely, and I'm loving every minute of it!

After I get the chins it'll be a few months before I can put a wheel in their cage, but I just wanted to know everyone's opinion on which excercise wheel is the quietest. I know it will never be completely silent, but I would like to choose the most quiet one I can.

Your opinions and knowledge are greatly appreciated! :)

The one that I have was 30 dollars. It make's no noise. It's called a bucket wheel. This guy in north carolina make's them. :)

The quietest and best wheels are the Chin Spin and the Flying Saucer. Both can be ordered through Quality Cages Company. They are expensive but worth every penny.

Typed up a reply yesterday. Went to correct one word and instead of deleting a letter, the browser went back and i lost it all. So lets hope this time works out better.

I prefer this flying saucer wheel. They are expensive, but they should last for a long long time. Its not plastic, so the chins cant rly chew them. And they wont degrade into plastic dust over time.

They come fully assembled so all you have to do is attach it to the cage. They allow a chin to reach full extension while running, as if they they were actually running around. Alot of the round ones (shaped like a mouse wheel) force a chins spine and body into unnatural positions. This saucer doesn't.

And should something go wrong with your wheel, its a extremely high probability that its just a bearing that got worn or dirty. Good thing about that is, not only is it a simple fix, but that company sells extra bearings for like $2. The wheel also comes with instructions on how to change a bearing should the need ever arise. Of the 2 wheels i have now, one i had to replace a bearing (bought that wheel used) and the one i bought new has yet to need any work after 4~ years.

They come in three sizes. Small Standard and Large. I prefer the large wheel. It gives them the most room to extend their body freely. But it will depends on the type of cage you have, and how much room is available. One other side note; They stopped making the large wheels technically. But if you email them, they will probably agree to make you one. (I just emailed them recently about it, and they said they could make one for me)

I have used both the steel saucer wheel and the chin spin, both were quiet in a cage with thicker bars, if your cage has really thick bars then the chin spin is less noisy...speaking from experience. My chin did more of a hop on the saucer and would occasionally use it as a landing platform making the entire cage shake!! Right now I'm sticking with the chin spin, sold the other. Another pro is the chin spin is a little bit cheaper!!

Again it depends on your cage, weaker bars and let's say in my case loose locks is a bit noisy with any wheel (but a lot less with the chin spin).

Hope that helped a little!!;)

Back