Quick Hay question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbringas

I give my chin Kaytee Timothy Hay. The other day I met some one, while buying fleece, and they told me that they do not feed their chins loose hay but Hay cubes only.
Now here is my question.
Can you use Timothy Hay cubes as an alternative to loose hay?

I think it is important to feed loose hay at least several times a week. Just a few key advantages of loose hay over hay cubes:
  • Long strands of loose hay insure a superior digestive health
  • Loose hay requires more grinding from the molars
  • Loose hay provides enrichment

On this subject, what if you have a chin who has no interest in eating hay?

I would look for organic hay (you may find some organic farms in your area) that contains various grasses and some legumes. Or you can purchase different types of hay and mix them together. You can also sprinkle some safe blossoms/herbs on hay. This should encourage chins to eat more hay.

Also, chins eat more hay if you limit the amount of pellets they get. The key is to offer quality, fresh hay that contains some legumes (at least 20%). Alfalfa stalks can be free fed; of course, chins do not like them as much as leaves. It is safe for chins to get some alfalfa. Chins who refuse to eat timothy or other grass hays, get only alfalfa anyway if pellets are alfalfa-based, but they get it in a processed form. The interesting thing is that when chins get used to their diet, they may refuse eating more pellets even if you decide to free feed pellets again.

SO interesting - I've been told the cubes are more of a treat. I'm learning so much - sounds like something they all enjoy though! I'll have to look into them more for sure.

I do cubes as a treat/toy, since they like to toss them around the cage before munching on them.
While loose timothy is our basic staple, I find it encourages hay consumption to add in small quantities of botanical hay, orchard grass, meadow grass or even brome. I get the 9lb bags of timothy and will mix in a small bag or two of something else, just to give them a little variety.
For truly stubborn chins who are ignoring their hay, the BEST fix is to get some of Crysta's flower salad and sprinkle it on top of the hay when you refill their bin. OMG, they dive in head first and eat a ton! www.jaxchinchillarescue.webs.com

Back