Questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Furry Fiend Keeper

I have had my little girl for approximately 3 months but keep getting conflicting advice regarding her.
Firstly, are live mealworms likely to make her ill or possibly be lethal?
How often should she be bathed? (only had one so far but absolutely loved it)
I have tried lots of different treats - strawberries, seedless grapes - carrots - you can pretty much go on for ever, but she won't touch them. Doesn't she need the variety?
The questions go on but cananyone help with these please?

Firstly, are live mealworms likely to make her ill or possibly be lethal?

Mealworms aren't lethal to hedgies. In fact, many enjoy their mealies. There is some caution around superworms - they're bigger and can bite your hedgie. You can certainly feed your hedgie superworms, but make sure to cut of the superworm's head first.

Mealworms, in moderation, shouldn't make your hedgie ill. Of course, any new food can upset a delicate hedgie belly... whether it's mealies, new kibble, or what. So start small.

How often should she be bathed? (only had one so far but absolutely loved it)

Hedgies' skin tends to be on the dry side, so only bathe hedgie when she's made a mess of herself. You can use oatmeal (put in sock in the water) to help ease the dryness. I think my Satin ended up with a bath about once every month or three. And Tex maybe three times so far in his entire life.

Their feet, however, are a different story. Both need(ed) almost daily footbaths (like 1cm of plain warm water) to help get the poop off from running in their wheels all night long.

I have tried lots of different treats - strawberries, seedless grapes - carrots - you can pretty much go on for ever, but she won't touch them. Doesn't she need the variety?

Treats are great. It can help to cut them into small pieces. Choose one and present it to your hedgie for several nights in a row. If it's still rejected, try another food the next week for several nights in a row. And you don't have to give up on a "reject" - try the same thing maybe a month or two later. Sometimes, it takes awhile for them to understand "hey, this is food... and I like it!"

Regarding the grapes... I think I recall reading that grapes weren't advised... But, please, someone else chime in on this one!

Favorites for mine have been butternut squash, sweet potato, peas, and carrots - all in the baby food version. Tex has also enjoyed real bananas and hard boiled egg - the white part after it is cooled.

Even so, if she decides never to eat anything other than her kibble, she'll be okay as long as it's a high quality kibble/mix of kibbles; ie, don't stress out over her not eating her fruits and veggies ;)

The questions go on but cananyone help with these please?

Keep on asking :)

Grapes are poisonous to hedgehogs. I don't think you have to worry about having done damage, but I would stop. I read somewhere that uncooked veggies are bad for hedgies but mine loves raw cucumbers. They like crunchies :) Most use babyfood as treats.

My little guy only gets freeze dried insects as treats because A-they're inexpensive and B-it's what he'd eat in the wild so it can't possibly be hurting him. He doesn't eat the live ones because OMG THEY MOVE!!!

Thank you. My little one loves live mealworms, she plays with them like a cat with a mouse before eating them!
She has refused to even touch anything except those, chicken & kibble, so fortunately, the grapes can't have hurt her. I have tried her with cooked carrots, banana, etc etc. I didn't give up as I know I have to give my chinchillas something several times before they eat it, but Rollie just turns her nose up.
Just put a bit of cucumber in, so will try that for few days.
When you say bay food, (stupid question, sorry) do you mean jars? If so, what variety, just veggie type, & for what age group?
Sorry to ask so many stupid questions but I want to get it right.
Thank you both for your answers so far :)

When you say bay food, (stupid question, sorry) do you mean jars? If so, what variety, just veggie type, & for what age group?
Yep, the baby food in jars at the store.

I look for the ones with the least ingredients... like, for peas, I just want to see peas or peas & water; not peas, corn starch, sugar, added flavorings, etc...

That usually ends up being the version for the youngest age group.

I'll also give things like chicken & squash that come in one jar. Again, though, I look to see that the ingredients don't include a bunch of things other than the chicken & squash.

Thank you so much guys. I tried baby food the last 3 nights & last night she ate a whole teaspoon full of organic vegetables! Now she has made that breakthrough, I'm hoping she will be more adventurous.
She has a gigantic habitat (122 x 60 cm) but I worry there's not enough to keep her occupied. She has fleece pouches, a flying saucer, a ball & tube. Is there anything else I could give her to stimulate her?
I really appreciate your help

Back